Depressed Chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygirllllll

I recently had to move due to circumstances beyond my control, and since I have my chins aren't acting the same. They used to be very active and curious and now they barely move. They both still seem to be eating and drinking normally, but thats about it. I have several ledges in each of their cages, but they just lay on their sides on the bottom of the cage.

Could moving be the problem? Do they just need to get used to it? I've checked the temperature of the room and its below 70, and I have a fan circulating air around the room just in case. They just really dont seem like themselves, and Im getting really worried. Do they just need to get used to their new home? There are 2 dogs here, but we were living with dogs before and they never had a problem with them. I keep the dogs away as much as possible, but every now and then they'll sniff the cage. I have Beebo on the bottom level of a FN, so hes the only one they can get to. He'll hop over and sniff their nose, but he doesn't seem to mind, and then he just goes back to his business.

Is this something I should be worried about? Or should I just give them their space while they adjust? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

How long ago did you move?

Sometimes it can take chins a while for them to feel comfortable again in their new surroundings. It smells different, looks different, and they're not used to it.

I know when I move, my one girl is always more scared of everything for a while.

I just fully moved in yesterday. But its a family members house, so they've both been here before for extended visits and they've always seemed fine. They're in the same room we've always stayed in, so it should be atleast somewhat fimilar surroundings?

And they dont seem scared, just like not moving at all. A few times they actually looked dead, I had to open to cage to make sure they were okay.

And they dont seem scared, just like not moving at all. A few times they actually looked dead, I had to open to cage to make sure they were okay.

They both still seem to be eating and drinking normally, but thats about it. I have several ledges in each of their cages, but they just lay on their sides on the bottom of the cage.

I haven't moved a lot of chins, but the usual symptoms of stress I've seen have included slightly softer poop and timidness/ skittishness (hiding more then normal) Your comment about laying and not moving and appearing dead would concern me if they were my chins. Do they perk up at all when you pet them or at any time of day? If they don't perk up at all it sounds like lethargy from illness or injury, if this is the case you should call your vet asap.

Do they perk up at all when you pet them or at any time of day?

The second I open on the cage door, they both hop up and either let me pet them, or the just run away, which isn't abnormal for either of them. Sometimes they're friendly, other times they just hop away and want to be left alone. But they are very alert when they hear the cage open or I put my hands through the cage. And every now and then they'll hop over to their food or water and sometimes just sit at the edge of the cage and glare at me, aha. But for the most part they just lay around and sleep.

Another thing thats not a big deal, but seems a bit odd to me beacuse it never really happens, is my female has been laying inside of the hidey house. Shes usually petrified to go inside of it, but would sleep on top of it every night. Is this just her way of hiding while getting used to things? Its not a big deal, just seems odd for her since I've never seen her use it.

My aunt had a chinchilla named taco who became depressed after moving in another family of chins. They beat him up and put a notch in his ear. After that he stopped eating and just layed there. The vet had my aunt put him in her purse and take him with her where ever she would go and he loved it. After a while of this he was happy and felt loved again and was fine from then on in, although he had to have a cage of his own. He's still happy and kicking. I know its a totally different situation but i believe its not uncommon for them to feel depressed from change.

Wow just another example of a vet not really knowing anything about chins. While this may have worked for your aunts chin, it is not ever a good idea to take your chins outside. The elements are against them, being in a purse or something similiar can cause them to overheat. I don't know if anyone has ever really seen their chin let loose when running, but if you think you'll be able to catch a chin who gets out in the open outdoors think again!

Latest posts

Back