Dental Polishing/Sealant?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBoris

We're taking Ed to the vet tomorrow morning to have an access tooth removed. One of the items on the list to do is "hedgehog dental/polishing/sealant". Has anyone ever heard of doing such a thing in hedgehogs? Does it even help. If this is not necessary, we would rather not get this done. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I have never heard of it before. Sounds to me like a way to get in an extra charge.

If your hedgehog is on crunchies(which I assume he is) then there is no cleaning or anything else necessary.

Did they tell you they were going to do a polishing/sealant? If so, I'd ask them what that meant. If this is from a quote you got, I am going to guess that the dental/polishing/sealant is the clinic grouping similar procedures into one item for their billing system. I've seen my vet's office do that for various procedures.

Ed is back home now and safe in her cage. The vet broke the price down, and the polishing/sealant was part of a package program, which turned out to be about 6 dollars more. They ended up not adding the sealant because more work was done than initially planned; a second tooth was extracted due to a cavity and tooth rot. The whole office was very impressed at how friendly Ed is and how well she came out of the tooth removal procedure.

Hopefully his little mouth will heal quickly and not cause him any more problems.

Back