Deep Cleaning a Galvanized Steel Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
Hey guys,

What's the best way to wipe down and deep clean a steel cage (such as the QC cages) and prevent it from rusting? I'm thinking of doing deep spring cleaning on the kids' cages here soon, but don't want them to rust, obviously.

Ooh, thats a good question. I've got a QC cage myself, and usually it's enough to blast it down with some water to get rid of most of the visible dirt/dust/etc., and then I go through it with a rag and some diluted bleach, sanitizer, or some of that GreenWorks all-natural all-purpose cleaner. This usually takes care of the rest of it, though sometimes it takes two or three runs or a scrub brush to get all of the marks off the cage bottom.

I've never had a problem with rust doing this- I just wipe it down with some more water, and then a clean dry rag when I'm done, and then leave it to air out for an hour or two before putting the chin back in. I'm curious if anyone has any better strategies?

Galvanized steel is resistant to rusting, just don't use any acids on it and you'll be fine. Bleach is safe as long as you get it up/sun dry it before putting the chins back in.

Usually when using bleach in a cage I dilute it a bit too. Less harsh on the cage and easier to make sure it's all gone for the sake of the chins

Latest posts

Back