Debating what to do... opinions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterLover86

I'm debating whether or not to get another chinchilla.

Honestly, while I would love another chin, my primary reason is that Raider has seemed depressed since his cagemate passed away over a month ago. He and my other chin, Pola, do not seem to get along, so I really don't want to force the issue between them.

I wonder if he'd be more receptive to a kit, I really do think he misses having chinchilla companion. Pola is more people-oriented while Dodger and Raider were usually more interested in each other. I wonder if a 3 month old kit (given a month for quarantine) would be easiest if I were to get Raider a friend.

I know there's no certainty that he'd accept the new chin, and he's in an 2-level FN, so it could be split if they didn't get along. I don't know, I'm honestly not sure what to do. I feel like Raider could use the company, he seems so lonely, and I feel he's missing companionship of another chinchilla.

What do you guys think though?

Also, if you do think I should consider this, can anyone recommend some breeders who aren't too far from around Chicago,IL (I actually live in New Lenox.)

I would say go for it if you have enough financials. :) However if you are iffy, i know some people on here say that the chins can get over a cagemate loss with time. Or give him a cuddle buddy.

I would only get another chinchilla if it something you want, not for your other chinchilla because you never know if they will get along. It is always hard to decide...Something to think about from a practical perspective is whether you can afford vet care for 3 chinchillas. Most of the time chinchillas are pretty healthy when they are properly cared for (unless there are genetic issues such as teeth problems), however, when it rains it pours. Just keep that in your equation. If you are willing to keep them separate if they do not get along and you have all taken all of the other considerations into account, then I don't see a reason not to. I think lone chinchillas do fine. Some people prefer to have singletons since there are no issues with cage mates and they sometimes bond with their humans better...

If you want to get a new chin and try it out, Kristy (starleomach) is in IL and usually has chins for sale. I don't know how far she is from Chicago, though.

If you can handle another chinchilla and genuinely wouldn't mind another mouth to feed, even if he doesn't get along with Raider and are already prepared to keep him separate if need be, I say go for it.

Having another chinchilla as far as care, feeding and housing is no problem, seeing as I still have adequate housing and supplies for 3 chinchillas.

I love my chins and did eventually want to get one or two more in the future, so it's not just for Raider's sake as I really am addicted to these wonderful critters. And of course, I'd never want to bring an animal into my home that I couldn't provide care for :) I work at a vet's office (and have for 9 years) and well... seeing animals who have owners that don't take care of them, and don't provide the care they need.. I could never do that to my own.

Oh and Ash, I think that Kristy is not too far of a drive from here. I don't minding a little ways, I was just looking for something not too terribly far away ;)

Latest posts

Back