Curtains in chin room

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TillyChinchilla

So now that it is getting nice and hot out here I'm trying to make my house a little more comfortable for the chins. My air stays on a good temp and their room always stays a little cooler. The issue is that their room get a ridiculous amount of sunlight so I think I need to put curtains or something up, because it isn't helping with the heat. I have blinds up but they don't do much even when fully closed.

I had some standard dark cotton curtains in the room with them before we moved here, but I had to throw them away a month later because I could NOT get the chin hair out of it. And to top it off, my chins are priming right now and there are bits of hair floating around their room all day.

Any suggestions on a material or type? All my chins are beige - maybe I should just get beige curtains!

Thick White/light colored curtains. If your chins are light colored then you won't notice the hair. If you've got money to burn, you can get one of those air filters with the polarized plate and periodically wipe it clean of fur.

Dark ones will absorb heat and act as radiators. White ones wll reflect the sunlight and not absorb as much. If they're thick they'll still be reasonably opaque.

I have some thick white drapes in my chin room which have like a rubber backing on them? Not sure what it is made of, but since they only come down to the window sill, it's not a safety issue anyway. They REALLY help keep the heat/light out of the room for my babies.

edited to add: I went and looked it up, it's called "insulated thermal drapes" if that helps!

There's also a film you can apply to the inside of the windows to reflect the sunlight!
I think I saw it at Home Depot or Lowe's - cut to size, wet the window and apply - eazy and quick!
Supposed to work well!!

I'm using beige curtains in my chin barn. Everything in there is painted white but the curtains. I figured that they'd stain a lot more quickly than anything else in the room. I wanted to get the kind that blocked the sun out completely so that I could close them and turn the daylights on if I wanted to, but they were rather expensive ($20 per panel) and I needed 4 of them.

we have white shower curtain liners tacked over the window with the regular drapes kept closed - seems to work well, but not the classiest option

We live in a single wide trailer smack dab in the middle of a ten acre ex-soybean field( only trees are in my imagination)! This thing is like an oven! I have the film on all of our windows(pain in the #*# to apply) but it does help.I also have the room darkening thermal window curtain from Walmart in the chinnie palace(aka our computer/storage/junk room).All of these efforts seem to help with the temp in their room. Usually its the coolest room in the house 66-72 degrees with the central ac on 68. I just recently invested in one of the alarm systems that will notify me by phone if the temp goes over 78 or if power out more than 10 minutes.

THANK YOU everybody for the ideas. All my animals are on the wall with the window with all the sunlight, so they aren't in the direct light, but when I walk into the room at 8am it is almost blinding for a minute. I like the idea of the lighter more opaque curtains, I will give those a try.

i got some kind of curtain from bed bath & beyond that has a white back and a very dark blue front. blocks out light very well, the white backing reflected heat fairly well and they worked great when i was living in Tucson and the sun hit the bedroom window in the afternoon.

and on the plus side, it was fairly cheap.

I can't remember the brand, but Wal-Mart has some drapes that have the insulated backing on them that block out most of the light for around $12 - 18 per panel, which is WAY cheaper than department stores. We have them throughout our house and we love them. They really do block out the light as well. I think the brand is Eclipse, but make sure you get the ones that have the white backing (one type doesn't work well at all).

booboo -- yes they are online. they're called window films :) just type that in the search engine

thanks Firestar.

I've got some kind of shades in my chins room that roll down, and then they have lime green curtains (very thin see through curtains to make their room) hanging in the chins room which blocks out light but not all so I'd like to get the window film to help reflect some sun light since they have 2 windows in their room

Latest posts

Back