CUbe vs Lose Hay teeth question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LemonSqueezi

Hi,
I hope this isn't a stupid question and I did try to use search but couldn't find the answer. I just took in a pair of chins who have been fed cubes all their life as opposed to lose hay or both. I know a few people who feed these but also feed lose at least twice a week. Will feeding cube only affect the grinding of the molars since its already cut down a lot? I mean I know they still have to use their back teeth to grind it but maybe not as much? I see them use the front to chew off small pieces as it is. Anyone know?
I just never thought of this until now.

I dont know the answer, I can only assume that once they bite off a piece from the cube they move it to the back and hopefully they grind evenly. Hopefully they were given wood to chew which would also help facilitate the wearing down.
all you can do is the obvious, is switch them to loose hay and continue to give them wood. maybe try some oat hay or another more coarse hay to help them along.
sorry i couldnt be more helpful, i give my boys mostly loose but also cubes as something different for them to munch on.

I think that you will get a variety of answers on this. Personally my girls do not like hay cubes very well at all. So for my chins, they are going to get way more grinding with their back teeth with loose because they are simply going to eat more of it. My girls will gnaw on an alfalfa cube which I give as a treat/chew toy but I find they gnaw with their front and it is already sort of a powder after they do that. I cannot help but think that loose is more beneficial for teeth grinding, especially when I compare the quantities they consume of each.

Thanks parkers, thats what I meant, when they chip off its already kind dusty and ground so I can't think they are benefiting too much in back. Just the front. I just hope this doesn't cause problems sooner or later. They are given both right now and so far have had no problems chewing it.

Thanks for the link Laura :) I couldn't find anything on the actual subject.

Last edited:
Back