Crunch time... What else do I need?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

laura_leigh

I'm picking up my boys on Saturday, so I'm down to the wire on getting everything...

After looking at this list, I think I may have gone a little overboard, lol

I'm getting the following from the breeder when I pick them up:
Cage
house
Alfalfa
Dust Bath
2 pounds of food
2 pounds of Blue sparkle dust
some chewies

Then I got the following today:
Apple chew sticks
Oxbow & Mazuri food
Kaytee Timothy hay (yeah, yeah, I know, but its the only timothy hay in the area)
And I have a bunch of grapevine that I'm cutting down to size for them tomorrow....

I ordered a bunch of mixed chewies from Pet Products by nature

I've also got an order in with Forchinate Chins for the following
Pumice chews
Critter crunchies
Crushed Rosehips
grapevine wreaths
willow balls
Hay box
Blue cloud dust

Congrats on your new boys!! Sounds like you've got everything you'll need...and then some LOL. It's so much fun spoiling them! The only thing I didn't see on the list was a water bottle??

Oops, forgot to put that cause I have a TON of the glass lixit bottles already. I used to breed sugar gliders, so I've got plenty from when I downsized, lol.

I don't see a camera listed. Cameras are a must so you can post pictures of your new boys often.

Yeah, I need to invest in one.... Mine got stolen when I moved to "the city" But I can always borrow my parents' camera to to take pics....

Log onto chocolatechinchillas.com and see what Dawnnas got in her prodocts section - never hurts to have LifeLine handy!

I definitely agree with Rick, Laura--look into some first aid items too, like the Lifeline which really can be a life saver and some blu-kote for cuts and scrapes. Your next step will be some nice fleece items for your chinnies to sleep and lounge around in!

I don't know how you're even able to sleep waiting for Saturday to get here!

When you have some "extra cash," you may want to look into a 15" wheel and fleece hammock - although those items are not absolutely necessary, more along the lines of luxury items that nearly all chinnies adore. :)

My kids love their fleece tubes, it's a luxury but they think it's a must have.

I would get a feeding syringe and Critical Care. Do you have a chinchilla savvy vet? That's something you need to find before you get your chins, too.

Something to cool you new babies. Some kind of stone that would stay cool or marble. Some chins get really over heated during playtime. I have one that never takes a rest stop. Always moving. I have learned in the past to watch his ears. If they get pink that is a red flag to get them cool ASAP. Ice pack in the fridge helps but you can't leave it with them without keeping an eye on them. They tend to want to nibble when they cool off. I've often thought a glass meat loaf sized pan in the fridge might be a nifty idea. Pull it out when needed. Good luck with your little ones. Sounds like they are going to be stinky rotten in no time.

I'm curious, why are you getting Oxbow and Mazuri feed? Are you planning to feed both? Or did you mean Oxbow OR Mazuri? :)

Also, you mentioned that you were getting Alfalfa--If you are feeding an Alfalfa based pellet(Mazuri is), you don't want to feed Alfalfa hay. It's too rich for them, and gives too much calcium. If you feed an Alfalfa based pellet, then you need the Timmy hay. Don't worry about the Kaytee brand--just try to get the freshest bag possible. If you have a Petsmart nearby, they carry Oxbow hay, also.

If sounds like you are going to have super spoiled chinnies! How fun. I can't wait to see pics when you get them! I didn't notice in the thread; do you have names picked out yet?

I've definately got PLENTY of fleece stuff, I have tons of extras with my sugar gliders, and I can always sew stuff up if they don't like that stuff..... I was debating about the Life Line and/or some other kind of supplement.

I almost bought one of the plastic flying saucers from Petsmart, but figured I'd get one of the metal ones online with my next check. I was afraid they would chew the plastic one, and I'd be wasting my money.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

ETA: I do have a great vet as well. She also treats my gliders...

Definitely don't get the plastic flying saucers. They are junk. I can see them toppling over as soon as a chin jumps on it, it's not big enough, and they would probably chew it. The metal ones are worth the money from what I've heard. I have Chin Spins.

I'm curious, why are you getting Oxbow and Mazuri feed? Are you planning to feed both? Or did you mean Oxbow OR Mazuri? :)

Also, you mentioned that you were getting Alfalfa--If you are feeding an Alfalfa based pellet(Mazuri is), you don't want to feed Alfalfa hay. It's too rich for them, and gives too much calcium. If you feed an Alfalfa based pellet, then you need the Timmy hay. Don't worry about the Kaytee brand--just try to get the freshest bag possible. If you have a Petsmart nearby, they carry Oxbow hay, also.

If sounds like you are going to have super spoiled chinnies! How fun. I can't wait to see pics when you get them! I didn't notice in the thread; do you have names picked out yet?

I got both as I'm planning on mixing them, its the same diet that they are already on, one of those don't fix it if its not broke type things, lol

I was debating about the Alfalfa hay, I figured it would just be a treat a couple times a week, but if not thats no biggie either...

I'm thinking Banzee and Ed, after the hyenas from The Lion King

HAHAHA! I loved the hyenas!:D

They can have a bit of Alfalfa, but it really should be sparingly. Too much calcium=kidney stones. :) I just don't bother with it, since there are so many other hays you can give for variety.

The chins are coming to you on both feeds? If they're doing well, I wouldn't mess with it either. They're just expensive from the petstore--especially the Oxbow.

HAHAHA! I loved the hyenas!:D

They can have a bit of Alfalfa, but it really should be sparingly. Too much calcium=kidney stones. :) I just don't bother with it, since there are so many other hays you can give for variety.

The chins are coming to you on both feeds? If they're doing well, I wouldn't mess with it either. They're just expensive from the petstore--especially the Oxbow.

I can just skip on the Alfalfa... I think I have plenty for them, lol... The Oxbow was a few dollars cheaper than the Mazuri at our petsmart... I'm probably going to order online next time...

Yeah, quite a few of the people on here offer Mazuri for like a buck a pound. Even with shipping, it ends up cheaper--especially when you can have it shipped in a flat rate box, and fill it up with goodies too! :D

I'm not sure about oxbow, though--because I think they stopped offering it in bulk, so it's not as cheap as it used to be.

Back