Critter and Ferret Nations... 140 v 160 v 180 series

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverrose

Chinnie kisses!
So I was planning on expanding my current FN 141, but apparently the FN 140 series is discontinued. The FN 180 addon is not compatible with the 140s, so my options are now either a new CN 162 or FN 182. (Or if someone has an FN 143 addon they are willing to sell me, this would solve my problem simply.) Anyways, I was hoping to get some input on both cages since I am really not too fond of either. I was going for the new FN 182 because I prefer the vertical bars... the horizontal bars of the CN make me paranoid of a climbing chin. However, I have heard that this new FN is just not as sturdy since it requires no tools to assemble. In particular, the top section does not lock into place, but is held by gravity only and tends to fall apart. Does anyone have any experience with the 182 or heard any horror stories first hand about it? I will get the CN in a heartbeat if there is even a chance the new FN falls apart....

your local craigslist is the best place to go to find the old style FN 140 series. being in L.A. i bet you can find one easy.

from what i've read, any of the 140 series sections can be added to your 141 to turn it into a 142.

It's not as easy as you think on the CL around here. I have always constantly stalked CL and FNs are few and far between. I have found CNs and FN141s, but not the 142 or 143. The 141 would not work because I want the cutout in the floor to make it one big cage and not a divided one. And I am not one to wait another year or more just to find a deal on it... I am getting my new chin(s) soon and want everything to just be perfect for em asap!

So, does anyone have the FN180 series and have any problems with it? Or are my concerns about the CN unreasonable and I should just go for the CN? Does the top section of the CN lock into place or is it also held just by gravity?

Just something to think about... I have FN 142 with a FN 141 on top.I have three chins each in their own cage in this stack.The other stack is a CN 141 with a FN142 on top.The CN141 is home to one chin,the FN 142 is home to the other two,but I still keep the divider in there so that I can easily sepate and contain them if I need to in a split second(example if I see spot of blood on shelf,I separate them for a few hours on paper towel bedding to find out which one has the problem if a quick look over doesn't find it at first, and I had one of the duo get a wood splinter stuck in his mouth/cheek so I needed to get him separate and take care of that-make sure he was back to eating,etc.). The CN141/FN142 stack had to go on a custom(love my hubby) platform with wheels.Yup you guessed it,the CN141 was no tools needed for assembly.As a personal thing,I HATE my CN!I don't like not being able to freely scritch through those dang tight fitting bars!Sorry I've got fat fingers,but if it were not for the fact that my hubby went to great lenghts to build the rolling platform and cut metal connectors for me ,that thing would be gone in a hearbeat!Not that I will ever breed(I only keep and rescue males-every gets a taffy pulling before they even get in my truck)but I would rather line the FN and make it kit safe before I would use the CN.But, like I said I'm stuck with the CN esp since I like being married!:wink2:

That was another reason why I didn't prefer a CN in the first place...the bar spacing is so small and I like to give scritches through the cage. So I'm really swaying toward the new FN 182, unless it's really true that the top section is unstable enough to fall apart, especially with an enthusiastic chin.

As I understand it, the new FNs don't spontaneously fall apart. The problem seems to occur when trying to move it. As long as you don't lift up on the top section while moving it everything should be OK.

one thing you could do is just take out the middle floor altogether and make it one big cage with either a wide wood shelf in the middle or stretch a hammock across the space - something to catch a chin if they should fall off a top shelf. that way you could get another 141, and if necessary you could separate it back into two cages (if a chin is sick, needs monitored, etc). you'd need a whole second cage for the first while anyway, for quarantine of the new chins (if they came from a place where they already lived together) and for doing intros.

Midwest isn't done changing the new lines of FN's or CN's. The rep I spoke with said they are going to be making some changes so people can lock in the assembled parts. He said they had heard of the issues of people moving the cages. I will continue to buy second hand FN's.

I have gotten all 3 of my FNs either from Craigs List or through forums here (and they were all 142s)... one resource I have found helpful as I continue to search for some more of them is www.craigsy.com - lets you put in your zip code, radius in miles you are willing to drive, and item for bigger search area - instead of having to search each individual town/ area/ locale...

So I was planning on expanding my current FN 141, but apparently the FN 140 series is discontinued. The FN 180 addon is not compatible with the 140s, so my options are now either a new CN 162 or FN 182. (Or if someone has an FN 143 addon they are willing to sell me, this would solve my problem simply.) Anyways, I was hoping to get some input on both cages since I am really not too fond of either. I was going for the new FN 182 because I prefer the vertical bars... the horizontal bars of the CN make me paranoid of a climbing chin. However, I have heard that this new FN is just not as sturdy since it requires no tools to assemble. In particular, the top section does not lock into place, but is held by gravity only and tends to fall apart. Does anyone have any experience with the 182 or heard any horror stories first hand about it? I will get the CN in a heartbeat if there is even a chance the new FN falls apart....

have you checked Amazon? there seem to be several options available for 140 series items there, as I am sure many of the merchants/ vendors have some back-stock they need to sell... when I started looking at them (couple of months ago) there were a bunch of 141, 142, 143 options available through a quick "ferret nation" search on Amazon - many with free shipping...

Midwest isn't done changing the new lines of FN's or CN's. The rep I spoke with said they are going to be making some changes so people can lock in the assembled parts. He said they had heard of the issues of people moving the cages. I will continue to buy second hand FN's.

Aw man, this is gonna make me want to wait til they implement a locking system now. I'm just so impatient and want a new and bigger cage now! :hair:

ETA: And yes, I tried to order FN 142s and 143 through several sites. All the vendors had to refund me my money because the product line was discontinued and Midwest no longer allowed them to be sold and shipped out. Which was lame because they still had the 140 series advertised on their sites, and made me super frustrated.

If you want/have the ability or someone you know can do it for you think about doing this.When I went 3 stack(just to keep the post shorter) I bought some metal connector brackets and just sprayed them with hammered texture spray paint(or whatever will match your cages).Then I used a power drill to make corresponding holes in my CN/FN and bolted/screwed the brackets in place. This really made my unit(CN141 with the FN142)really secure because basically the FN142 just sits on top of the CN141(because the 141 had gone to the tool free assembly).Had I not done that,when I would move the stack (to clean/reposition )the big 142 on top would slide off of the 141!! NOT good.The brackets work great though and I beat it would be a good solution for you.You can even get t-shaped brackets for joining units too.Lowe's/home depot,etc will have them.:thumbsup:

Woot!

So after scouring probably every single petstore in LA county and San Gabriel Valley this morning... I actually flippin found a brand new FN 142!!! Hooray! Now I can stop worrying and just be excited for my upcoming addition(s) :cheer:

CONGRATS!!! I was lucky enough myself to find a brand new FN142 at petsmart. Its so much fun to decorate them. I just got done making pan covers for my FN & posted pics in the Ferret Nation Club thread. Now you have officially joined the Ferret Nation Club!!

Last edited:
So after scouring probably every single petstore in LA county and San Gabriel Valley this morning... I actually flippin found a brand new FN 142!!! Hooray! Now I can stop worrying and just be excited for my upcoming addition(s) :cheer:

I'm SO excited for our road trip! FYI, you are driving and I'm playing with the chins on the drive home. :D

So glad this thread started Next year I was going to buy one or two new 3 level stacks. I would definitely want them to move so I can clean around them. I would want the CN because of the small space (for chin babies) - the 3 stacks would be 3 cages for me. So now I know to wait until they improve what they have. What the heck were they thinking designing them that way??

Latest posts

Back