Critique please! Wire mesh

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyzarandGemma

Chinchilla Enthusiasts!
We "kit-proofed" our ferret nation double unit with wire mesh. Here is the step by step and costs, if you care for them.

Below are our pictures! :)

The bottom unit:
img_0181.jpg

The top unit (front):
img_0178.jpg

Roof of the double unit:
img_0179.jpg

Oh, you might want to drill some holes in the hay container. Hay needs to breath so it doesn't get moldy. I either keep mine in the bag it comes in or in a cardboard box. I don't remember who suggested the cardboard box, but I find it very convenient.

Oh! Wow, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Thank you for that advice, you probably just saved me a bit of money!

I second the air holes for the hay. We cut slits in the cover of our container and it works fine. The cage looks great, I'm sure you're getting excited for your new babies to come home :)

Oh man, we are beyond excited! We have a countdown on the whiteboard on our fridge (47 days) and are really just waiting for our fleece and toys from Alli (Camphor Chins) and then it's just a waiting game!

Where did you get the metal pans from and how much were they?
Thanks

Bass company sells them. They're really nice. :)

I have a follow up question for my friends on chins and hedgies: when can I remove the wire mesh? It seems like it pulls out little hairs :( should I wait for their six month birthdays? They're both almost 500g.

I'd say you're probably safe to remove it. Obviously it depends on their body shape and size, but I've had a 400 gram chin in a FN and he wasn't able to escape. You can try smoothing the fur out on their head and comparing their head size to bar spacing.

Alright! That's what I was thinking! :) I think we will wait until we get some new hammocks from Alli and then we will look into revamping the cage!

Back