Credit card fraud.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

I received a call Tuesday morning from Discover Card about fraudulent charges so she was listing some charges. I had to tell her which ones were mine and not mine. This is the second time this has happen. The first time was with Chase about 2 years ago. I shred all my statements, receipts don't use credit card much on internet except for paypal. I was wondering how in the world does these people get your numbers? I also want to blame merchants not asking for a photo ID. Now a days at least in Calif if you charge under $20.00 they don't ask for a signature any more.

I love how they just want a zip code for security nowadays. My whole town is one zip code, and everything in a 20 minute drive is that or one other. How hard would it be for someone to guess? My wallet is very much not likely to be lost/stolen outside of the zip that I live in, yaknow?

Sometimes the people aren't targeting cards and getting "your numbers". They have bots and stuff and hit the jack pot on a random number that just so happens to be your number. I'm sorry this happened to you. Discover actually issued me a new card a couple months ago because a merchant I shopped at said their accounts had been compromised. Discover card seems really good at handling everything like that. You are lucky it was caught before things got worse. :)

My bank of america is great with catching stuff, or calling me when a wierd charge pops up. It is nice when the bank catches it before you do!

The only time I've ever had an issue is when I bought my MacBook and Chase declined the purchase because they thought it was a fraud charge. The card was paid off and hadn't been used for like 2 years, so I don't blame them - it just took a few phone calls.

I don't use credit cards anymore, just my debit card. Frankly they wouldn't be able to buy much with what I keep in my checking account!

Sometimes they even get your number at restaurants. It doesn't have to be online to get it. Stores get hacked, and sometimes waitstaff have been know to copy info from cards. It happened to my father a few years ago, and they cloned his card somehow and racked up a ton of money in Kinko's around Florida, all under $6. 3 and 4 in one day. Some places zips don't help with security, but where I am there are so many around, it would be hard to guess. My city alone has, I think 4, and my zip is actually another city.
After one hurricane we had here, I had to drive up the coast to buy food and water. 2 hours to find food, and another hour north to find water. This was October. I went to the Keys in Dec for my B-Day, and they declined my card for a fraud flag. I called the company to fix it, and they flagged it from Oct. They couldn't tell me why it took so long to flag, or why I had been able to use it earlier in the day.

Last edited:
Bethany- that is how mine happened. A restaurant employee must have copied it, and my address, because they needed that for some of the online purchases. They started with a bunch of 1-$5 purchases, and then started buying muscle building stuff! My bank figured it out pretty quick, that I was not buying all that stuff, and cancelled the card. I even found out who did it, since I had only been to one restaurant in this country for 3 months....and Applebees sent me a bunch of free gift cards! They never did fire the guy though. Duh.

Yeah, they eat out to much to pin-point it, but that card was only for eating out. They get more creative every year. I wonder why they didn't fire him? That would be a good way to figure it out though, lol.

I know it suck, I got my debit card cloned and they froze my acount and it was 3 pm and needed money for a cab... But my credit car, nothing wrong happend there. They even phone me when I went to Toronto, to check it wasn't fraud.

In Canada (or at least Ontario), merchants never ask for ID with a CC. Maybe for large purchases in strange circumstances, but I've bought things for like $1000 and never had to show ID. it was only when I went to the US and bought some candy and a drink that they asked for ID. I was like... why?

I use my CC all the time online and have never had a problem. I guess that it's just the luck of the draw. My mom had her debit card cancelled by the bank when someone got her info somehow. She never uses her debit except at bank machines and the grocery store (always has cash on hand) and she got fraud charges... go figure.

And whenever I travel anywhere I make DARN sure that I tell my bank and the CC companies. I work at a financial institution and I see people crying and freaking out because they are traveling and their banks froze their cards. I called about 3x before going to Russia. No WAY was I going to be stuck in Moscow and not be able to have access to my money. That's just dangerous.

Last edited:
In Canada (or at least Ontario), merchants never ask for ID with a CC. Maybe for large purchases in strange circumstances, but I've bought things for like $1000 and never had to show ID. it was only when I went to the US and bought some candy and a drink that they asked for ID. I was like... why?
In Quebec too. Even for my 1200$ computer my parent bought on their CC (I wasn't 18 and couldn't get one) they never asked ID. They sometime did when my signature was faded on the back, but most of the time they don't look or even make you sign. I can't wait 'till all merchand will have the equipment for chip card, way more secure.

I work for a store and We were instructed that if the credit card is signed that we are "Not Allowed" to ask for Identification. We all ignore this and ask anyway. But just wanted to put out there that some companies enforce this rule and it's not the caheirs fault.
With that being said I have "Check ID" written on the back of all my cards and if the cashier does not ask I call them out on it.

I'm in Ontario and some stores ask for ID, most don't. Canadian Tire does, all the time. I rarely use a credit card except for places they know me anyways like the post office, vet and fabric store.

I guess I'd be in trouble if people checked IDs all the time here. Our check cards are separate, but we use each other's for everything, it just depends on who has the money... haha.

My husband has "please ask for photo ID" written with a sharpie pen on the back of his debit card. Not every place asks for his ID, but many do. We always thank them.

I don't think by law that retailers are allowed to ask for a photo ID with a credit card purchase.

And whenever I travel anywhere I make DARN sure that I tell my bank and the CC companies. I work at a financial institution and I see people crying and freaking out because they are traveling and their banks froze their cards. I called about 3x before going to Russia. No WAY was I going to be stuck in Moscow and not be able to have access to my money. That's just dangerous.
I had my debit card freezed when I took a trip to MI a couple years ago. It just took a call to the bank to clear it up but I was freaking out. They froze it I think the second day I was out there and I still had a week to go and no money! I never thought to tell them before hand but I always will now.

I had my debit card freezed when I took a trip to MI a couple years ago. It just took a call to the bank to clear it up but I was freaking out. They froze it I think the second day I was out there and I still had a week to go and no money! I never thought to tell them before hand but I always will now.

You were still in the same country, so you were lucky. When people travel internationally, there is more red tape. Imagine having no local currency, not speaking the language and having no friends or relatives there.

Sorry that happened to you. I once posted a thread on here kind of similar, where someone somehow got the numbers of my credit card and made a purchase of over $700 off the internet. UGH!!! Won't get into it, but just saying I know how it is.

And you are right, merchants never ask for ID in my area either when you are purchasing and they should, especially with all the fraud these days. We really have to be so careful with our personal information these days and where we shop. It's ashame we have to live this way.

Jean

I guess I'd be in trouble if people checked IDs all the time here. Our check cards are separate, but we use each other's for everything, it just depends on who has the money... haha.

Same here! I always use Ben's debit card when I go grocery shopping and stuff. Our accounts are separate and he's the one with the moolah!

My husband has "please ask for photo ID" written with a sharpie pen on the back of his debit card. Not every place asks for his ID, but many do. We always thank them.

I don't think by law that retailers are allowed to ask for a photo ID with a credit card purchase.

By law retailers are supposed to either compare the signature on the back of the card to what they are signing or check ID. Some do, some don't.

Back