Could this just be allergies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_gal

Me? Addicted?
I had previously posted about everything going on with Cherry here: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30042 I am starting a new thread since she is no longer urgent, and I don't want to keep pushing down other members' emergencies.

So, here is an update on Cherry. She's doing really well. She's no longer doing the choking/gasping motions, and she's eating and chewing on her wood just fine now. Her activity level is perfect, and she's just seems to be doing so well.

The only thing is, she's STILL sneezing. And sneezing a lot at times. And when she sneezes, she has a clear discharge coming from her nose, and she paw swipes it off. And even though she's been on her eye medicine (Ciprofloxacin) for a week now, her eyes still continues to be irritated (though there's not as much fluid, she still keeps twitching them and closing them a little). She already been on heavy baytril, so I imagine she would be better by now if it were an infection. She's been off the baytril now for 4 days.

I can't help but to think now that maybe it's just allergies? Maybe the choking was because her nose was so stuffy that she couldn't breathe through it, and it made her gasp? Because, the x-rays didn't find anything (besides the inflamed cecum which both the new vet and other members don't seem to think is related to what's going on), and I'm just not sure what else this could be? Her follow up isn't until the 12th, so until then, what should I try to do to see if maybe it's allergies? Right now she's on pine bedding, should I maybe try carefresh? And if she is diagnosed with allergies, is there anything that the vet could prescribe her for that?

Sorry that I have so many questions, but this has been very heartbreaking and frustrating trying to find out what's wrong with my girl. Thank you for any advice!

My first thought is that the URI isnt resolved. Others should chime in because I am not sure but perhaps its normal for discharge post abt because of decongesting?

The only thing is, Baytril is such a good antibiotic. I would think, that if it were a URI, it would be better by now? I would also think that after 4 days of not being on it, she would be worse now if it was a URI?

Baytril resistance is a real problem now that I personally won't use it as a stand alone antibiotic especially against URIs. I use chloramphenicol. If your vet is anti-anything else ask to be prescribed tri-methsulfate also, baytril used synergistically with TMS is a better bet than baytril alone. Also, URIs are a beech to get rid of, 21 days on a heavy duty antibiotic is not uncommon and even then the chin could still have issues. I have had a chin who was truley allergic and was put on benedryl, so there is a "treatment" for allergies but first the vet needs to do a nasel swab to check for bacteria-the allergy chin was in the clear for bacteria, you do not want to get it wrong when it comes to upper respiratory issues. Nebulizers can be used in severe cases if the chin just can't breathe.

Alright, so I took Cherry for her follow up tonight and the vet really doesn't think she has a URI. The only thing he wanted to put her on is more of the same eye medication for 10 more days, as it has improved her eyes remarkably. He did a thorough examination, and he said everything looks/feels alright except for the fact that she's sneezing still (though it's not as much). He seems to think now this whole thing has been because of our live tree we had for Christmas. He said he's almost certain it must have been a mold of some sort on the tree, and that's what has caused her reaction. It does make sense, since this did all start happening soon after we got our tree, and now that it's been gone, she is definitely improving. Does this sound right to you? I honestly didn't see pushing the antibiotics when he seems so sure that it's not an infection. Hopefully I'm not making a mistake, but after not being on the antibiotic for so long, wouldn't she be worse right now if it were an infection, and not actually improving after being off of it? It just doesn't make sense to me, especially because I know how poorly chinchillas handle URIs? He wants to give it a little more time since there's been so much improvement, and he told me if the sneezing doesn't stop soon to give the office a call and let them know. He seems pretty confident though that he's got this figured out, so I really hope he's right.

Thank you so much for all of your advice! If you have a big concern about the decision, I CAN still call and try and see about those antibiotics you recommended. But, this new vet really seems to know what he's talking about, and he made me comfortable leaving everything how it is... she really is doing so well?

Back