Coughing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronica

We have been very fortunate with regard to the health of our chins for these three years we've had them. Now two chins with problems at once - first was Delilah - long story short, she had a tooth that was flat on the top like normal, but spurred, growing into the side of her cheeck. She has recovered nicely from the trimming last month. She had gotten down to 440 grams, but is gaining now.

My current problem is my George. He was our first chin & he knows he's my favorite. Thursday night he started a quiet coughing. He has no other symptoms - eyes & nose are dry and clear. I called the chin vet Friday & she had a Saturday morning appointment available. She could hear wheezing in his lungs, said his heart sounded good, and he weighed 731 grams. She sent him home with a liquid sweetened Baytril .015/2x/day for 10 days.

He's had 3 doses of the Baytril and I took the pine chips out of his cage and replaced with a towel. His coughing has gotten louder and sometimes he screws up his whole face and pulls his ears back too. I'm worried about him. Does this sound par for the course if he does in fact have a respiratory tract infection like the vet said?

In our rural area, this is the only chin vet around and I've only dealt with her on these two occasions, so am not entirely trusting yet.

Is the dosage really just 0.015? I know that that has to be a typo because that would be a small syringe to use if it could measure that. But I have to ask. With the Baytril suspension usually it's more like 0.25 ml twice a day. You may want to ask the vet if you can up the dosage a bit. 7 to 10 days is pretty standard for treating a upper respiratory tract infection. I'd worry about the dosage that the vet gave you because your chinchilla isn't at all tiny. At 731 grams she may need a little more...but still what you are giving her should help with what's going on with her.

As for the coughing...sometimes the liquidy mucus in the nose can cause some gagging and sneezing...I guess that's like coughing. That can be very irritating to a chin...so they will pull back their earsies as they sneeze.

Also...you may need to be making her eat a bit through handfeeding. She would greatly benefit from some probiotic (forgive me if you already are using it) and maybe something that will help keep her blood sugar up since she's feeling bad - Critical Care would help out for sure. :)

You're right - 0.15. I think I will call tomorrow to see about upping that dose. Thanks for the explaination of what's going on too. It really looks and sounds like he's choking. So far, George's eating hasn't been affected, though I'm certainly on the watch for it.

That is wonderful that he's still eating! Once they stop, it's so hard to get them to start again...especially with the respiratory issues.

I'll keep the little dude in my thoughts...sending good vibes...

Come on, George...get better, buddy! :D

I don't have a nebulizer. Are they expensive?

I also don't have probiotics. I offered George some of my plain organic yogurt, but he didn't think that was a very good offer. Need to get some acidopholus I guess.

Speaking of nebulizers, or at least they remind me of something...sometimes it helps to put a humidifier in the room with a chin. Ask the vet about the nebulizer, too.

Definitely get some acidophilus. The capsules are much more concentrated. You can handfeed it to him, sprinkle it over his pellets and sort of mix it in or put it on treats, as well. :)

I just lent my humidifier to my sister because my neices have allergies/colds!

I asked the vet today about increasing the dose of the Baytril and she said that this is a higher concentration that we had given Delilah for the tooth trimming issue. She wants to continue on the dose we're at for 24 more hours and decide from there.

The good news is that there feels to be less wheezing in his chest when I hold him. I would sure be happy if this works! He sure isn't very happy with us!

Thanks again. :)

An update:

One week after we heard the first coughing - today is George's 6th day on Baytril - coughing has greatly diminished, but he is also not eating pellets or drinking on his own. He has been eating hay and he will take a shreddie. I made a pellet mash and added a few drops of molasses - also a bowl of dry pellets with a few drops of molasses - he'll nibble off a spoon but certainly not a good appetite.

I'm having troubles syringe feeding him because everything (pellet mash or CC) get stuck in the syringe - any tips?

The good news is that I've gotten to be pretty good at making a chin burrito - the bad news is that mommy's favorite hates me. :cry3: Hopefully he'll get over the sickness and the hatred soon!

Latest posts

Back