Coughing, Sneezing, What do I do?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotsATTACK

I have two chinchillas, Beast and Coheed.
I checked this morning and both of them were fine, same with this afternoon. I checked tonight (after some odd barking noises) and he had the sniffles and was coughing (and barking!) I have no idea what to do! I mean, what do you do when your chin has a cold? Give them orange juice (haha)?
I don't have much money until Tuesday and I am worried sick, someone please help! (when I say much money, I mean $4 -.-)

I would suggest a vet visit if you are concerned they are sick. No one here can diagnose and treat over the internet. Most vets can work out a payment plan if need be.

Sounds like they definitely need a vet. Is it just one or both chins? Does he have any discharge anywhere? Check around the eyes and nose. Is he constantly nose swiping? Are they eating, drinking and pooping normal? Is he lethargic? Hopefully someone else will chime in as well, but anyone who can help is going to need to know this info as well as what you have us. Sorry to hear about your boys :(
If you can't afford a vet now, look into Care Credit. It's like a credit card, they'll just bill you in monthly installments.

Yup a vet is needed, mine almost had the same condition without the runny nose. They usually give you some medicine, and critical care. You can try applying for care credit, its a credit card for vets and animals. I had to do this the last time my Sakka was sick.

Upper respiratory infections kill chins rapidly, there is no self-vet remedy anyone on the forum can tell you, the chins need a vet.

They both have appointments at the Robinson Animal Hospital (PA) Wednesday at five. That was their first opening.
Any reviews on this place? What should I expect, their first vet appointment? What should I do?
What should I do in the meantime?

Hm. I think upper respiratory infections progress quickly. Anyway you can get them in somewhere earlier? Is there a chin friendly e vet in your area? I know its not an immediate emergency but I think they need attention before weds.

I would make sure that this vet knows about the proper care for chinchillas. A lot of vets will see them, but they really don't know anything about their special needs. Also, whether at this vet, or another office, I would stress that this is potentially an emergency and they need to be seen on asap. I hope your chins are ok!

They both have appointments at the Robinson Animal Hospital (PA) Wednesday at five. That was their first opening.
Any reviews on this place? What should I expect, their first vet appointment? What should I do?
What should I do in the meantime?

You need to have gotten them in by now. Everyone suggested you get them in immediately because if it is a URI, they can go downhill fast! That is the same thing you tell the vet and they will get you in as an emergency case.

Their chinchilla vet is out until Wednesday! :| I'm calling around everywhere. But everyone is closed for the weekend. Ugh! :banghead:

Post your location. There must be a 24 hour emergency vet available, even if you have to drive for a few hours. Someone near you could make referral.

Dawn is right -- they can go downhill extremely fast and die. Please don't wait until Wednesday. If money is an issue, most vets will work with you and arrange a payment plan.

Back