Copyright...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
Well it finally happened. I was browsing some googled chin sites and came across this site, what I found interesting is it's a dog site, but has a chin page on it.

It has a lot of wrong information which I was rolling my eyes at... don't worry chins are fine in 83 degre temps, but then I got to the bottom and found MY PHOTOS!

Mine would be the only ones that don't look like they need a bath... and are mislabeled. I contacted the contact us section and demanded that they be removed as they are my property and also noted that the "article" is full of poor information.

Perhaps if others send a notice about the wrong information they will remove it, or perhaps someone can offer to update it?

ETA: I'm also pretty sure that's my quote that said not to use leashes on chins... I vaguely remember a person with a chin by that name long ago on the forums.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/pets/chinchilla.htm

what the heck. that's so messed up! you should for sure bug them. I'm checking it out too. which ones are yours?

Edit: nevermind, they have your name on them, don't they? Rivendell Chinchillas? Yeah, you should be able to do something about that, I think that's just as good as a copyright in the eyes of the law.

Last edited:
I have found people using my photos without permission before now & it's not always easy to get them to remove them. One classic case of this was the person Expert Village (& Youtube) who uses my friend's bumblefoot photos (incorrectly, I might add) on a video about fur fungus. Repeated contact has resulted in not response & the photos have not been removed ...........

Might be worth pointing out the blatant hypocrisy at the bottom of the web page:
The Material contained herein may not be reproduced without the prior written approval of the author. (C) 1998-2011 All Rights Reserved

If that's his stance then perhaps he should have the integrity & courtesy to ask to use other people's photos since he obviously expects everyone else on the planet to abide by his wishes ........ :rolleyes:

Wow. What a horrible webpage to have your photos stolen and added to- not only a lot of misinformation but dirty looking chins as well. Your photos are the only ones that look like clean, cute chins. I added my two cents in the ' contact us" section. I hope it helps!

I don't think I'd mind as much if the information was at least good. If it was then I'd contact them and say you can use them but I need to be credited. But the pics do have my name on them, and they're mine. Then paired with the rest of the crappy information just makes my operation look like it's on that level. The photos have my name on them so one would assume I either made the article, since I could find no mention of the author, or I endorse it.

I don't think I'd mind as much if the information was at least good. If it was then I'd contact them and say you can use them but I need to be credited. But the pics do have my name on them, and they're mine. Then paired with the rest of the crappy information just makes my operation look like it's on that level. The photos have my name on them so one would assume I either made the article, since I could find no mention of the author, or I endorse it.
:yes: Yup I can totally understand that - my friend feels the same about the bumblefoot photos on the fungus video - its frustrating.

I sent a note to them as well. I too find it interesting that they have that copyright blurb at the bottom of the page and then use someone else's pictures without consent.

I sent them a message... I was counting the errors (both spelling, grammatical and chinchilla-wise) on that page... I stopped at 20.

:hair:

Does anyone know the law on this? I am curious. I made a powerpoint presentation and used people's pictures without consent. I asked the people who I used pictures from who are on this forum, but I honestly just didn't have time to ask everyone else...I was on a deadline. I put the company/owner name and url on every picture and it was shown to my reproduction class.

But it is on the internet, sort of. It's on the class webpage in a program that only students enrolled in the class can access, but will be taken off at the end of next semester as the teacher uses the prior semester's presentations for example.

I tried to look up the laws, and it was confusing. You might be able to use copyrighted material in educational and research situations, but I am not sure.

Without being slanderous can you post a notice on your website? Something to the effect of...'It has been brought to my attention that other websites are using my photos inappropriately, I do not support these websites or the information provided on them'... of course you'd word it better then that. Then if someone views the other guy's site and decides to look up your site they'll know the truth, and it'll protect the integrity of your business.

Sorry, that just stinks. I'm sending them a message right now. :impatient:

Copyright is always a sticky situation, but clearly they understand the issue if they don't want 'their' intellectual property stolen and should not do so from others. I think I'm going to send them a message on their contact site as well.

Caiti- you're fine under Fair Use, as yours was used for solely an educational one time use kind of deal.

Usually if it's for educational purposes, and you're not spreading bad information, there aren't too many issues. You should be fine because it's not on an open site, and you properly credited the owners of the materials.

Contact their hosting provider and tell them this person is using your photos without your permission and you'd like them removed. Most hosting companies would remove their website and warn them to get rid of the material from their websites. I've had to do that about 3 or 4 times over the years. Where people used my chin pics on their own sites. It's vet easy to do and the hosting company is super quick at fixing the situation.

After looking at the page and seeing how it is covered in multiple advertisements, I think the owner is more concerned with making money rather than giving quality information.

I think you may get a faster response from them if you click on one of those "Advertise Here" links.

Also interesting to note, if you right click on the page you get this pop up:
Contents & Graphics Copyright © Dog Breed Info Center®
Our work is not Public Domain, and should NOT be taken from this site. All Rights Reserved.

To avoid this message, use Ctrl-Right-Click.

Registrant:
Dog Breed Info Center(R)

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: DOGBREEDINFO.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
DNS2.NETTICA.COM
DNS5.NETTICA.COM
DNS3.NETTICA.COM
DNS1.NETTICA.COM
DNS4.NETTICA.COM

You can go complain about the pictures to nettica.com. They would be that person's host and they would shut the site down until it is corrected.

i contacted them also, hopefully our words will be heard and it is taken care of soon.

i don't know if its worth anything but i said i was going to discourage people from using the site unless it was changed because it was incorrect on a lot of things....

On the funny side your nice chinchilla photos are followed by the statement chinchillas should look freshly dusted... then followed by some greasy looking chinchillas...

I feel your pain we have all had photos used without permission it is a nightmare. I have to start putting ABC Chinchillas across mine

They have been removed. They are claiming that I gave permission, which I didn't. They send a copy of the message I sent tell them that they should look soft, not greasy, the exact quote, also I said they had wrong information such are leashes, which they didn't change. I did include photos in my email of what a good chin should look like, but I never gave them permission to use them, and it wasn't implied either in the email. You'd think when someone sends you a message saying almost everything you posted is wrong you'd think they don't want their photo on with it... but of course I can help update the wrong information for them...

It seems that this person has no concept of the golden rule(do onto others as you would have them do onto you). They dont want anyone stealing their stuff, but they will sure steal it from someone else. I wonder how long they have been up there without your knowledge. Hopefully they will update their site to include good info in the future.

they sent me an e-mail back too, saying riven gave them the pics to use. but they didn't say anything about changing their info..... the sad part is most of my message was about all the wrong stuff they say on the page!! i had one sentence about Rivens pictures..... Seems odd...

Back