confused and frustrated new mom. Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonialee

This is my first post so bear with me: about six months ago we bought a chinchilla from a family (their son wasn't paying her enough attention). She is now about two and a half from what they told me. And so I've been adjusting to life as a chin mom. But I'm starting to get frustrated and it’s confusing because I don't know what to do.

The biggest problem we have right now is that she has started chewing sooo much more in my room lately. Which makes sense because she will not chew the things I put in her cage for her and her poor little teeth need SOMETHING! I bought her pumice stones, and loose wooden chews, as well as a hanging wooden and pumice toy; we left some cardboard rolls in there for her to chew, as well as a more substantial tunnel. She has no interest in any of it. The one thing she does like is the mineral chew (which I'm not even convinced she's supposed to have) and she used to chew the top of her sleeping house but that’s been chewed all the way down. So what do I do? What else should I try for her? What about cuttlebone? That stuff for birds? I just saw it and thought maybe it was a hard something she could try. The more she chews the harder it is for me to let her out because it seems I’m constantly shooing her away from things until eventually she just has to go back to her cage. Also, should she have more in her cage to interact with? She really does nothing in there but eat and sleep. I tried a wheel for a few weeks but she was completely disinterested.

I hope I haven’t been an ignorant pet owner, I am trying my best! That’s why I came to you guys.

If they have a good diet they do not and should not have mineral chews. Cuttle bones are not necessary either and don't really do anything for the teeth because they are too soft.

It sounds like you've provided many chewing options so I would not worry too much about her teeth. You can find our what she is chewing on out of the cage and try to offer a similar but safer option as well. Wood is not created equally, some are soft, some are not, some are sweeter, etc.

My biggest concern for you at this point would be what are you feeding? Are you feeding hay?

It sounds like you're on the right track to being a great owner!

We have little chinchilla chew marks on anything and everything in our dining room. Doors, baseboards, table and chairs, hutch - you name it, it's been chewed on. The only real way to stop it is to offer playtime in a pen or a room where you don't mind the chewing.

I wouldn't offer her the mineral block or the cuttlebone. The mineral block isn't necessary as long as she is eating a good food and getting plenty of hay. The cuttlebone is a good source of calcium if she is deficient, otherwise excess calcium can lead to health issues.

Does she have a lot of wood in her cage? (ledges, house, chews) My guys like to chew on their wooden ledges and houses along with their toys.

She may have more interest in the toilet paper rolls if you stuff them with hay and twigs for interest. I cut them in half and stuff one half for each chinchilla. They love them, and it's cheap.

One thing you may try is to take Papaya and rub it on some of the toys to encourage her to chew them. This worked well in the beginning for my boys.

I have also found offering them a variety of wood and finding what they prefer really helps. My boys love apple/mulberry/willow, but could care less for elm/pear/sycamore.

She does get a lot of hay, though she is very picky. I accidentally bought the wrong bag once and had to throw the whole bag away because she simply would not eat it. She also gets pellets but that is all. Her favorite thing to chew was a hole in the drywall so I bought the mineral stone because it has a similar texture. I tried the tp tubes but I didn't put twigs in, I wouldn't know what is safe or not. People had posted all kinds of things about what kinds of trees or the sap or insecticides, i'm not a botanist so I wouldn't know what to get her. Should I just start buying her wood online? the pet store only has one type of wood that she was so disinterested in. I like the Papaya idea.
As far as her cage activity level, do you suppose its okay that she doesn't really do anything in there? maybe it'll be better for her once I find some things she's interested in.

My boys' favorite things to chew on in their cages are apple sticks. There are a lot of people on here that sell them. Check out the classified section. They will chew the bark off and then usually toss them out of the cage.
Proper diet is important too, a good quality pellet (no junk like sunflower seeds or fruit/veggie chunks in them) and timothy hay fed freely. If she's eating those they should keep her teeth down.

The hay should keep her teeth down. I've noticed the wood at pet stores gets ignored more than anything, I've had great success with wood bought from one of the members here. (plus its WAY cheaper than store stuff). They usually like the bark more than anything.

Chins just chew new/intresting things especially if they know they arent aloud too. I'd protect your runners with some cut cardboard, the damage can really add up and Paint cant be healthy.. Get the free packing boxes from stores. It's also perfectly normal for her to sit and sleep all day in her cage. Some chins are more active than others. My girl that is 5 only runs around for a couple hours while I sleep ( only noticed cause it'll wake me up).

Her favorite thing to chew was a hole in the drywall

Boy do i no that feeling...
Pic

I didn't put twigs in, I wouldn't know what is safe or not. People had posted all kinds of things about what kinds of trees or the sap or insecticides, i'm not a botanist so I wouldn't know what to get her. Should I just start buying her wood online?

That is true. There are a lot of factors in getting twigs that are safe for a chin. I usually buy mine online at rondaschins.
All 5 of my chins favorite is apple, tho i keep a few different types around.

My guys love apple wood too! I'm lucky enough to have my own apple tree, that has never been sprayed, so I can make my own sticks. Sometimes I string up TP rolls just for more interest. My girls will play with them, my boys won't. Another thing they love is scrunched up pieces of plain white paper. They throw them around, and chase each other before tearing them to shreds. Not really tough enough for wearing down their teeth but it gives them some distraction, especially during floor time. Small plain cardboard boxes work too. They play in it, sleep in it, and chew it. Its inexpensive and I just change it out when its pretty worn down.

They are a difficult species because they are sometimes painfully intelligent and incredibly stubborn. They learn about their environment by chewing, unfortunately it's not a safe way to learn.

If the chinchilla has lots of hay, a good pellet diet, and lots of wood, then probably keeping it away from the furniture is the easiest though not always most practical way to stop the chewing. Mine chew their shelves which are all wood, just as much as they chew the sticks I give them.

Possibly you could try offering chew toys during play time. Mine love it if I give them a new stick when they are out of their cage. They also love it if I sit or lay on the floor with them, they spend a lot of time using me as their jungle gym and forget about doing much of anything else while they are out. I consider myself lucky that mine like to play on me so much, especial since the one doesn't even like to be touched.

My chinchillas play in a play pen, and allot of people let their have run time in a bathroom mostly for that reason and various other safety concerns depending on the individual.

My chins hate apple wood with a passion, but they are fairly unique in that hatred as I understand it. Their personal favorite is chunky barked willow which I buy in bulk online. As long as the wood is chin safe, you can play around with what you offer, and hopefully find something your chinchilla loves with a passion.

Latest posts

Back