Community grower cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
If you keep litters in larger grower cages in same, sex communities, which cage did you pick? I can't seem to find the right type. I'm looking for metal with 3" pull out pan.

DSC_0701.jpg

I use these cages from Custom Cage works out of TX. There are 6 sections in each cage, but there is a jump hole across 3 horizontal sections to turn them into 3 cages. I love them for growers, not so much for breeders, but if I have a pair or trio, I use these as well. I open the jump hole in the middle of the sections and allow up to 6 growers in each until they're about 4-4.5 months old. They're super easy to clean, but they're not as sturdy as I would like for the price they charge. I was lucky enough to get these used from a breeder selling out though.

That's exactly what I want, or taller without a hole but I'm trying to figure out what the most is for the money.

Those cages (6 compartments) are $355 plus shipping.
The 2-level folding cage 24x24x24 would fit maybe two or maaaybe three little guys after weaning and $208 with shipping for two.

An a-frame cage would fit 2-3 or possibly 4 little guys for $190 with shipping.

My runs are filling with growers and I keep getting triplets. I use my ferret nations for play time and they're harder to clean so I'd rather not do pairs pre-delivery or growers in them.

Tiffany, aren't you ready to upgrade and give up those?;)

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL no money to upgrade, I need a bigger building first! You have to think about it, if you can fit 6 chins in each section max, that's 18 chins per total cage. Now, that's not adults, just weanlings. When I put adults, I got 3 max in each section, so still 9 total adults are possible in these cages.

They also can make more sections to make it worthwhile.
http://www.cageworks.com/cages/43/product.php?id=746

I also have a Ferret Nation 142 split and I put up to 8 weanlings in each section until 3.5-4 months old. They also get 3 feeders and 4 water bottles :)

I really like those. That's what Im going to invest in when I move next time. The melamine cages are so not worth the hassle!

Only drawback i think to the triangle cages is they leave a lot of empty space because you can't stack on them...

Yea now that i have breeding runs I'm ready to ditch the big bulky melamine cages. I think I'm going to keep 2 of them for grower cages and holding cages . We will see how that works out LOL. I also like the cages Tiffany has, but I agree the prices they ask are over bored but they are rhe only people who are willing to ship stuff like that.

Back