Color mutation question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureDVM

I have a question about my chinchilla's color mutation. I know he is a beige, but I don't know enough about the different mutations to tell if he is homo or hetero. Can anyone tell me from these pics if he would be considered hetero or homo beige?

I'm leaning toward homo beige based on what I've read so far on the internet.

I'm sorry the pictures aren't that great. Most of them were taken with my cell phone, but I'm going to hopefully try to get some better ones soon. My avatar is also a picture of him, but for some reason it makes his eyes look much darker than they are in person.

Attachments

• E5.jpg
    E5.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 52
  • E6.jpg
    E6.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 46
I guess I'd almost lean toward a tan, his belly is a little lighter, but it's really not what I'd call white.

I'd probably say hetero, but honestly breeding them is usually the only way unless you know the parentage, that can rule out homo beige in some cases, ex std x bg.

I guess I'd almost lean toward a tan, his belly is a little lighter, but it's really not what I'd call white.

I'd probably say hetero, but honestly breeding them is usually the only way unless you know the parentage, that can rule out homo beige in some cases, ex std x bg.

Thanks for the input. I adopted him, so I unfortunately have absolutely no information on his parentage.

I'll defnitely have to try to get better pictures, though. His belly is actually a lot lighter and whitish in person.

Pics can be hard even with the best cameras. :D

I had a female I thought was homo bg, so did the breeder, until she had a white baby ( genetically impossible). I also had a "homo beige" who was a pink white, and we only realized it when a judge pointed out the very tip of her tail was white, she was so light in color it was hard to tell.

I'll vote regular homo beige. Eyes are glassy and jelly red even with pictures that dark. I can see the belly line, can't wait for more pictures. :))

Very cute sitting pose there!

Back