collodal silver how much/how often??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercynursie

Okay sweet little Pooh has a fairly large wound on his chest and I need advice. The wound is in the same location as the one he had last year! I never cold find out how/what he in the cage he injured himself on, so after he healed up he went into a new cage with all fleece no wood ledges or anything. I alteady have him on chloramphenicol,pain med,and probiotics.Cleaning the wound with dilute chlorhexide solution then covering with non-adherent bandage secured with vetwrap. Someone here recommended colloidal silver so I found a bottle @ GNC. How do I apply it to his wound(spray directly on wound, dab it on with sterile gauze,etc) and how often. Can I cover the wound with telfa then vetwrap as I have been doing? He has his e-collar on,still eating hay from a hayball( I only use this when animals are wearing e- collars) and he started eating his pellets from his bowl this am! Yay!!!!! The wound still is open raw skin for the most part with some thick scabbing and I just want to help without hurting. I did use manuka honey last time, but it was so sticky on bandage changes that he would actually scream in pain. Thanks for anyone's suggestions who have used it or remember someone that I can get the info from.

I highly recommend colloidal silver. I make and use it personally.

I gave it to my cat by mouth although it does take a little while but with it plus prayers healed her from cancer. I have gave it by mouth to my chin when he had a UTI when nothing else would touch it since then he hasn't had another one.

I haven't used it on a chin by dapping it, or spraying it directly on the wound, but I'm sure it would help anyways.

Maybe someone with more experience will comment. :) Good luck, hope your chin gets better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:bump1: Anyone used it on open chin wounds? Right now I am spraying it on once daily after his soak just before bandaging. He still has his collar on and the wound is too large and open on his tummy not to keep it bandaged.The strongest dose I could find in my area is 30ppm.

I considered the blue kote Tiffany, but from using it on the farm critters I knew it was alcohol based and burned like the dickens. Pooh's injury is on his chest,covers a large area and is down to the muscle tissue so I really don't want to cause him any extra pain. I just wish I could find out how/what he has injured it on this time since he got a new all fleece accessories cage when he recovered from pretty much the same injury last year.

A little late but I can give some information. Dressing changes using silver are usually done once daily or every other day depending on how much drainage there is from the wound. If the wound is caved in at all or has any undermining or tunneling it should be gently packed to fill the space [but honestly if it's that bad he should be at the vet's.] I would soak some gauze into the solution and cover the gauze with an absorbent dressing. I would cut the gauze to the size of the wound to keep it off the good skin. This will keep the wound bed moist and still wick away any drainage. If there is an odour or foul drainage present, this would be a sign of infection. If the dressing sticks at all [quite painful to remove] use some of the cleaning solution to moisten the dressing first and as you go along. And definitely keep it covered until there is skin.
Poor guy, that must be really difficult for both of you. At least my patients can talk to me and tell me where it's sore. I hope it's improving.

Typically bandages and their dressings should be changed every 1-2 days. Depending how deep the wound is he may need antibiotics and pain meds as well. Has he been to a vet?

Thanks so much everyone! Pooh is healing fairly well. I have had him on chloramphenicol since the injury was found, cleaning it with dilute chlorhexadine solution ,spraying the wound with colloidal silver then dressing it with sterile telfa/gauze sponge and securing it with vetwrap. Initially I did wet to dry dressings to debride the wound(metacam one hour before dressing removal) then after getting good clean wound bed just did telfa and vetwrap. Needless to say he has hated the e collar more than anything, now he has a raw spot on his back foot where he rests the collar when standing:hair:. Such is the life of a chin owner! Oof course he's also getting probiotics,extra b12. All due to a great vet I have been using who let me email some pics and gave me med after seeing pics. He actually could not believe this was the same chin he saw last year as he now told me he didn't expect him to survive that injury. I have always reminded him that I am a disabled ex-RN who has a few human tricks up her sleeve! He wants pics of the wound healing using the colloidal silver. Okay off I go to get more feeding syringes(he can eat on his own with hay and a few pellets but I always supplement feed just to make sure his nutrition status is good) and some more bandaids for me since he takes advantage getting a good bite in when I take his ecollar off for cleaning it and checking the skin under the collar for irritation!:flowers9:

Can you share the wound and healing pics? I know it might be disturbing to some but it seems like this might be educational in case someone less experienced finds themself in this sort of situation.

Back