coffee was attacked

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcoronaangel

The three new boys have seemed to get along ok. I came home tonight and coffee was attacked. Part of his ear is hanging, he has puncture wounds from the middle of his back to his tail, he has bit wounds on his head, each ear is bloody and the top of his head.
He isnt moving. I can lay him down on the bed and he just lays there.

I am driving him over to the vet in a few momments after the dogs are get their food.

I am really upset. Coffee is the most gentel of all the chins, he lets you hold his and cuddle him and you can even flip him on his back and rub his tummy.

Wish us luck.

His ears/head:

3r3r3r2.jpg

4r3568ture.jpg

3qr2r33rttt.jpg

ykjtrhtegsf.jpg

896u75ytg4rfew.jpg

poor coffee chinchilla fights can be so horrible. The biggest concern if he is not moving is shock. Do you have any honey? A dab of honey on the gums can sometimes raise the blood sugar levels enough to help with shock. If he is ok shock wise make sure you get some pain meds and anti-biotics to prevent infections Good luck

Oh no, I am sorry. I hope he is ok, that looks so painful.

I am back! We had to wait an hour at the vets but he moved in the cage and ate some hay while we waited so I was pretty calm after that.
We had to cut off part of his ear and use sx glue to hold the other part together.
I am on abscess watch for the next few weeks per the doc. He flushed out the wounds best he could and said to just leave the rest alone.
On Meloxicam and Baytril.
When we cleaned his back and its pretty amazing how many bites he has they pretty much cover his back. It was really sad.
BUT if he doesn’t have any abscess then we are in the clear.
Thxs everyone who commented. I was really worried about my little boy. I am going to give him a while to heal and calm down. My new kennel should be here in 3-6 days in till then he is in a small dog kennel. I am really upset about this whole thing. "Gimpy" has been pretty much named the attacker since the other chin Cola doesn’t have a tuff missing or out of wack. I want to see in a few months if Cola can bond with Coffee. If they do I will go from there. If gimpy attacks Cola... well I don’t want to get a head of myself.

Thxs everyone.

Wow, that looks nasty. I wish you both good luck! Sending healing thoughts his way!

Glad to hear he's doing well, all things considered. Good luck and get well soon, Coffee!

Poor Coffee! I really hope he recovers quickly. Chinny-kisses coming his way xxxxxx

Be sure he is eating. Many times after an attack, a chin will go anorexic and you will have to step in and hand feed. Also be sure that he is not acting too lethargic. Lethargy is a sign of shock which is a major killer in chins who get attacked.

Thxs everyone who sent their well wishes.

I checked on coffee tonight and he isn't moving that much went I was watching him but the dr said not to expect much activity out of him for the next few days. He is a chin that for whatever reason he feels the need to "dig" in his food bowl and dump 25% of his food out before he chooses something he wants lol and I saw a big pile of food around the bowl in the cage and I saw him chewing on some hay so I am happy about that. (I have critcal care though if needed on hand)
Though he isnt really moving all that much yet just turning and slowly walking away. I'll will keep an eye on him. After he is out of the red zone he will earn his own area in the new FN for himself for a while.
Odd the chin who most likely attacked him use to live fine with a female in his kennel... no fights reported then. <- or maybe thats not odd? I dont know much about females and male interacting... only have males.

Be sure he is eating. Many times after an attack, a chin will go anorexic and you will have to step in and hand feed. Also be sure that he is not acting too lethargic. Lethargy is a sign of shock which is a major killer in chins who get attacked.

Poor boy! I hope he heals well and quickly! Keep the updates coming!

Coffee is still in his smaller kennel. I gave him time outside in the play pen for the first time since the accident. He seemed to be getting along fine in there. He is a little camp and helps me give him meds by holding the syringe to his mouth (really cute).
I was told to wait to clean the rest of the blood off till I was sure he was all healed so he still looks a little gross.
No dust baths right now either so his fur looks a little messy.
All in all he looks like he is healing well. Still has tons of scabs everywhere but no abscess!

Thanks everyone who resonded with info and advice. I was very worried and crying but I think this experience has bonded us even more. I've been spending a lot of time with just him and I.

NEWS: I checked out Coffee today to feel for an abscess and I found one on his back. It was a lump I pressed down on the area and puss came out. I did my best to clean out the puss and flushed the area out. It seems very painful for him (I am sure it is). All his other bite wounds have scabed over and are fine-- my vet is closed on Sundays... does he have to go in today or can he wait another day? I haven't checked for an abscess for 3 days so unsure how long it's been there.

Latest posts

Back