Coconut chunks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight Chinchillas

Zookeeper extraordinaire
I'm exploring different materials for both my birds and chinchillas. I came across ccoconut chunks. These aren't just the outer shell, but seem to be the fibrous part of the coconut just under the shell. I'm interested in any personal thoughts on this as to how safe it would be. I know we use coconut products for holding hay, but since they are fibrous don't want to risk possible impaction, and wonder if they would just shred this, or eat it?

I was always concerned about how to prepare the fiberous shells to make them sanitary. I ended up getting shells that were power sanded. Some chins enjoy chewing on them, and I've noticed that other's just find them ammusing to bat at, while trying to get the toy parts that I hang from them.

I don't think it's as exposed to outside elements like critters, etc as say wood, since there is a outer shell to the coconuts, and the fibrous part is under. Hubby is from the islands, and used to watch those guys with their machete cracking them open to get at the meat!
Oh how I miss Hawaii! I know my beak monsters (macaws) will enjoy them, but just wonder about those Chins.

Could you just bake them to kill off anything that could be on the fibrous part? As far as I know the stuff on the coconuts is safe and I don't think they spray them. Then again, you would need to ask the place you get them from if the final product was sprayed with insecticide or anything before it was sent to the US. A lot of the coconut stuff and other things comes from overseas so you just never know.

I found them on a bird supply store, and will ask. If they were set on a low setting in the oven, I think they would be ok. I know the place is extra careful as far as no birds on the premises, and no returns to lessen the risk of disease, so hope they are just as careful about where their products come from!

i used coconut shells as hay holders. the part with the 3 holes only, since the other side didnt not sit so flat. i baked them as i would my wood. at a low temp, i think 175. i think for an hour-ish. i dont recall any of my chins picking at the fibers or if there ever were any???

I have the hairy coconuts with fibers for my own hay hay holders. Some are just as hairy as the day I put them in, but some have been groomed a little. :)
I emailed the owner of the website about pesticides, and am waiting to hear back from them.

Latest posts

Back