Close call!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerk

Chinchilla Servant
I had a close call regarding my girls. I came home from work and found the room at 73 and rising. Chimi's ears were warm and Lilly was laying on her side on her chinchiller. I panicked and checked the air conditioner and it seemed to have just take a poop on me. I do have a more powerful spare but that's in the room my littlest is being quarantined. I ran out of the room and went straight to the nearest appliance store and bought a portable air conditioner. The entire time I'm thinking "I'm going to come home to two dead chins...". Luckily they were okay and the installation went smoothly though Chimi did not like went we turned the old conditioner off because she liked the white noise.
Ugh! I hate summer!

I don't like window units, they do the job but I'm paranoid they'll fall out. It's kind of stressful relying on technology like that keeping your babies alive because if some freak thing occurs and you have no control, it's sad :(.

Im quite lucky that my chins are pretty good with heat. They can handle 73 very well. (Tho i try to never let that happen.) But in the slum apt i was in, it happened often.

Now that i moved, the chins have a room and i have a room. My room is where the sun rises and theres is on the other side. So i get all the heat, and they stay pretty cool. My room can get up to 80 and they can still be 68-70 lol

I always get scared when the room gets to 70. I live where when it's hot it's humid too.
I'm at a loss right now because the room is at 70..I know they're usually good around the 70s but I'm scared for when the days are just going to get hotter and hotter, I'll be at work during the hottest part of the day where something could happen.

Instant a/c unit: freeze a water bottle or three, put them in a large container, and put that in front or a box fan. It's far from ideal but it works to cool you (or them) in a pinch. I figure with chins you would only aim it at half the cage or similar so they could move away from it if they want to.

THE POWER WENT OUT!!!
I feel bad but we're all sitting in a car right now, which breaks my quarantine for baby Willow...I feel like a horrible chin mom but it's all I could think of to do... I'm pretty much in tears. They said it'll take two hours to get it back up.

The important thing is that you're keeping everyone cool. You're being an awesome chin mom. Hang in there, you're just hitting some nasty speed bumps.

Latest posts

Back