Clear/Yellowish film ontop of water in both beta bowls?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

Any ideas what causes this? Its a clear / yellowish film that accumulates on the surface of the water in both of my beta's bowls. It feels slimey to touch. Their bowls are cleaned weekly.

Do you have any pictures? Males from what i remember will make bubbles on the surface of the bowl. Other wise maybe you can get a small tank with a pump, and or outside filter to help circulate, and keep the water clean?

I don't get anything like that in mine. He makes his bubble nests, and sometimes there will be a little bit of an oil build up on the top because I put my fingers in there and he nibbles them, lol. Otherwise what kind of water are you using? Any additives?

it's a protein film, and happens in 'tanks' that don't have a filter.

with betta bowls, they should have their water changed much more frequently than once a week. the ammonia from fish waste builds up quickly in an unfiltered environment. ammonia is deadly to fish.

when i had a bunch of betta bowls, i would do 100% water changes on them every second day. when i first started out with bettas, i was told to change the water every week. joined a couple of fish forums and found out that the once a week water change was not nearly enough to keep my bettas healthy. bought a test kit and tested one betta bowl that had gone 3 days since it's last water change and OMG! the ammonia was at 4 ppm. ammonia is very toxic to fish at anything higher than 0.25 ppm.

my advice would be to upgrade your bettas to a minimum 2.5 gallon tank each, with a filter. a heater will be needed as well if your house is cooler than 76 to 78 consistently. i kept most of my bettas in a 10 gallon tank each, with a filter and a heater, after joining the fish forums.

one wonderful forum (and i do hope it isn't against the CnH rules to post the site here) is www.aquariacentral.com.

Back