Cleaning Shelves and Ledges

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyChins

When it comes to getting urine off of cage shelves and ledges.. I'm curious as to what you guys do.

How many of you clean them? And if you clean yours.. what do you use? What is your process?

How many of you just toss them and make new ones?

Anything that doesn't come off in a light cleaning will get sanded off here. Probably with a mask outside if it includes feces to be safe.

My chinchillas have only peed on their shelves once or twice and the urine didn't sink really far into the wood so I just sanded it off.
I know some dip the shelves in a diluted vingear to water mix, scrub the shelves a little, and then let them dry in the sun. I have personally never tried this method so hopefully someone who has will be able to give you a more detailed report of how the process is done.

I've cleaned up wooden shelves with a light bleach/soap solution, then rinsed well and set it out in the sun. That normally does it. Someone mentioned something about peroxide working to clean wood, too. I just can't remember the exact procedure for that....but don't worry, someone will post later. :)

I use hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar to clean cages and shelves, dog barf and other messes, see a theme here?

Take two spray bottles, one for hydrogen peroxide (I attach the spray part of a bottle onto the brown hydrogen peroxide bottle to keep the light out) and one for full strength white vinegar. Spray one, then spray the other (I spray the hydrogen peroxide first because then I can see where the nasties are as it will start to bubble when it comes in contact with organic waste), let sit for a few minutes and either wipe or rinse off.

I use hydrogen peroxide like Meanie. It makes the shelves look darn near new. I do it a bit differently, though I'm sure both methods are effective. I spray hydrogen peroxide on the area, let it sit for a couple of minutes, scrub it off with a brush, then wipe it off with a white vinger/water solution.

Do you use the Hydrogen peroxide on wood shelves? or just the pans that hold the shavings? When you want to disinfect a new cage would it better to use bleach solution? I just got a new run set up, and its a bit dirty, i guess it was sitting outside. Yesterday I washed it with soap and water. now I just need to make sure its safe for chinnie use. thanks!

When ever I use vinegar on wood shelves it smells gross, do you use vinegar on the wood shelves? Or do people mainly sand them down?

Last edited:
Oh! Interesting ideas!

What happens if the hydrogen peroxide sees light? Does it go bad or something?

I've heard of using vinegar before.. I think I'll definately try doing this.. :)

i use the peroxide on the wood shelves.......for habitual pee-ers, than a light sanding may be necessary.
when cleaning the metal pans or the actual cage itself, i either use a earth friendly spray cleaner & paper towel or sometimes i bust out the clorox wipes and then wipe with damp paper towel. fleece goes on top so they are never in contact with it but at least i know it is disinfected.........and I only do this during the "deep" cleaning.

i think the peroxide loses its effectiveness if exposed to light

i use the peroxide on the wood shelves.......for habitual pee-ers, than a light sanding may be necessary.
when cleaning the metal pans or the actual cage itself, i either use a earth friendly spray cleaner & paper towel or sometimes i bust out the clorox wipes and then wipe with damp paper towel. fleece goes on top so they are never in contact with it but at least i know it is disinfected.........and I only do this during the "deep" cleaning.

i think the peroxide loses its effectiveness if exposed to light

I use hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar to clean cages and shelves, dog barf and other messes, see a theme here?

Great to know. I've only used the white vinegar and water.

I used vinegar and water for the first time on the solid cage bottoms and the shelves...didn't work great on the wood, but worked wonders on the cage bottoms, especially Mork's, he isn't litter trained like Rodya and Sonya, so he just left lots of pee stains. But it came off with almost no scrubbing after sitting in vinegar for a while. :)
I'll definitely be using the peroxide next time I clean the wood shelves!

I do the vinegar and water method, scrub really good and leave to dry in the sun. I sand when needed as well :)).

Latest posts

Back