Cleaning a water bottle?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayChillas

Puff n' Fluff
How does everyone clean their watter bottle? And how often? Is using hot water and dish soap safe?

I put mine through the "fast" cycle of my dishwasher once with soap, once without. Then I take a pipe cleaner and rinse and scub inside the drinking tube/stem. ( I use mostly glass bottles that I purchased from the Ryersons.) I clean them on a weekly basis.
A little bit of soap is okay, but be sure to rinse thoroughly.

I put mine through the "fast" cycle of my dishwasher once with soap, once without. Then I take a pipe cleaner and rinse and scub inside the drinking tube/stem. ( I use mostly glass bottles that I purchased from the Ryersons.) I clean them on a weekly basis.
A little bit of soap is okay, but be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Ok and I have a plastic water bottle so i'm not sure if it would work in the dishwasher? The bottle on the outside of their cage so they have no access to chew them.
Thank for the advice

i have glass bottles, so i just used hot water and a small dap of dish soap. Use my water bottle cleaning thingy i got at pet store to get the inside. Just make sure to rinse thourly. And when im done, rinse it again'

Ok and I have a plastic water bottle so i'm not sure if it would work in the dishwasher? The bottle on the outside of their cage so they have no access to chew them.
Thank for the advice

I once felt the same about my plastic water bottle. Until, I tried to fill it and it started leaking in three different spots. :/

I now use glass bottles. They get tossed into the dishwasher once a week.

Plastic bottles will retain bacteria, they are nearly impossible to sanitize, that is the primary benefit of glass bottles. :D

When I used bottles primarily, I would use the dishwasher on sanitize. Occasionally you'd get one that got icky inside and I'd use rock sale ( for making ice cream ) and put it in there and swirl it around until it was sparkling clean!

i handwash my glass water bottles once a week with hot water and dish soap. i rinse about 10 times to ensure all the soap residue is gone. when i had a plastic water bottle (before Rhino chewed a hole in it and soaked his cage floor! lol), i did the same wash routine with it.

good idea with the pipe cleaner Nikki. until now i've just been swishing the spout part vigorously under the soapy water to wash it.

good idea with the pipe cleaner Nikki. until now i've just been swishing the spout part vigorously under the soapy water to wash it.

I can't take credit for the pipe cleaner, it was tunes who turned me onto that idea. I was using QTips which can leave tiny fibers in the spout which could be ingested by the chin. Pipe cleaners were suggested instead, they don't leave any fibers and they do a good job brushing out the insides of the spouts. :)

i've been using pipe cleaners for years to clean the insides of my fish tank filters, now i'm doing a 'doh!' and face palm because that is the exact reason i use the pipe cleaners in the filters instead of q tips - no fibers left behind. don't know why i didn't think to use pipe cleaners on the water bottle spouts before........ lol.

Latest posts

Back