Choosing a Wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuudoku.Niji

Which wheel would you prefer? The $119.00 15" Leo Braun Style Exercise Wheel from the ChinnieShop or the $59.95 14" Silver Surfer Exercise Wheel from Chinchillas.com? Please let me know your experiences with the wheels too!

People don't like for me to share my experience with wheels normally on here. I do not believe that chinchillas need wheels and that they can be dangerous. Chinchillas are accident prone little animals and can be thrown from the wheels or be otherwise injured. I always tell my customers to spend the money on other things like a cage or lots of chew toys because the chins will get more from them. There are other things that I could tell you about wheels, but I will spare you unless you'd like to hear them - I've had chins get injured or die from the use of an exercise wheel, that's enough for me to stay away from using them.

People don't like for me to share my experience with wheels normally on here. I do not believe that chinchillas need wheels and that they can be dangerous. Chinchillas are accident prone little animals and can be thrown from the wheels or be otherwise injured. I always tell my customers to spend the money on other things like a cage or lots of chew toys because the chins will get more from them. There are other things that I could tell you about wheels, but I will spare you unless you'd like to hear them - I've had chins get injured or die from the use of an exercise wheel, that's enough for me to stay away from using them.

I think your opinion is wonderful, you should definitely let people know what could happen! I respect your opinion greatly. I think i just might get other stuff than a wheel then~
Thanks so much!

Not saying that you have to go with my opinion. I just like for people to know that the wheels are not 100% safe so they know the risks. It's better to know as much as possible about things that will go in with the chins so that you can make informed decisions. I am sure that other people will give you more opinions that will differ from my own, so you may want to listen to them, as well, so you can make a decision that is right for you. :)

Not saying that you have to go with my opinion. I just like for people to know that the wheels are not 100% safe so they know the risks. It's better to know as much as possible about things that will go in with the chins so that you can make informed decisions. I am sure that other people will give you more opinions that will differ from my own, so you may want to listen to them, as well, so you can make a decision that is right for you. :)

I'd rather my chinnie be safer in the end than sorry.

Which wheel would you prefer? The $119.00 15" Leo Braun Style Exercise Wheel from the ChinnieShop or the $59.95 14" Silver Surfer Exercise Wheel from Chinchillas.com? Please let me know your experiences with the wheels too!
I am also deciding between those two wheels did you ever get a wheel and if yes wich one did you choose i just dont know wich one too get :)

I don't personally have any of the silver surfers, I have all quality cage chin spins as well as one leo braun for my prairie dogs (who don't use it, naturally, so the chins got that one as well).

Between those two, I'd say the leo braun is quieter, but then, I feel like the higher price (it ended up being $145 for me for the wheel + shipping) should denote higher quality... which it probably does.... but that said, I can't say I think it's really that much better than the chin spin. I have enough wheels for all my cages now, but if I was to buy another wheel, it would be another chin spin, as I feel like the two wheels are comparable. That said, I've only had the leo braun for less than a year, so its possible with more time I might think its better, but at the moment I'd say it's comparable to the chin spin, just a higher price.

I saw a really awesome wheel made from a big metal mixing bowl, a Rollerblade wheel, and some nuts and bolts. Since the sides were so high as a bowl the chin had ample space to simply fit on it! Which most wheels I've seen lack big time. Since I only have one chin, and its a SILENT WHEEL (wooooooohoooo) I'm definitely gonna give it a try. Oh! And when the guy made the wheel he angled it- sort of like the saucer only safer since its not the equivalent of running full speed on a cymbal. Lol!

I have the 15" ChinSpin. And let me tell you, I didn't realize how HUGE they were. I was slightly upset at the 20$ shipping fee, and then I recieved it and WOW! Lol. Putting a pet store wheel up against the Chinspin makes you wonder how the stores can get away or feel comfortable selling them to customers for chinchillas. Best purchase ever! Chewy's cage is set up in my bedroom, and I've never been happier! It's so quiet. It took him a bit to get used to being it's so much bigger... but now it's worked out fantastic! :)

I have a Critter Nation Cage and will be getting my Chin Spin :) next week is there anything i have to watch for in putting it up in the cage because there so heavy?

I have a Leo Braun style wheel and IRS the only wheel I've ever had. The wheel itself is silent. The noise comes from all the stuff in the cage shaking when my girls run.

I've had a silent spinner...and it broke. Also went through a flying saucer in less than a week. I'm debating on which of the two expensive ones I'm going to get now. He's an avid runner. Keeps him happy when I'm at work until I get home and let him out. The few days he didnt have a wheel he shredded everything in his cage and gave me the stink eye.

The flying saucer being referred to in this thread is the high quality metal one. The plastic saucers and plastic wheels like the silent spinner don't come in a large enough size to be safe for a chin.

I have a Critter Nation Cage and will be getting my Chin Spin :) next week is there anything i have to watch for in putting it up in the cage because there so heavy?

I have a critter nation also and have a Leo Braun style wheel in it which is also heavy and I've had no issues. My wheel has 4 points to attach it to the side of the cage.

Back