Chinspin possible danger?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctorjames25

Chinzillas
So my girlfriend and I have a Chinspin for our chins. Sometimes our chins get going really really fast. I will say one time one of our chins was running in the wheel and had gotten going pretty good when the other chin decided to jump in the wheel while it was at full speed. When he hit the wheel he pretty much spun around the wheel and got flung across the cage. Recently we lost a chin. My girlfriend actually found him in the wheel not alive and said his face was all bloody and beaten up. The wheel we have is very heavy so when it gets going it doesn't easily stop. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with their Chinspin's?

I suggest you contact Quality Cages the manufacturer of this product.

I have a Chinspin and have not had an issue but only have a single chin. She goes really fast on it if the bearings are ready to be replaced. If you tighten the screw that holds the wheel to the base you can add more tension so the wheel spins slower.

Sorry to hear about you little one you lost.

Sorry for your loss. I haven't had any problems with any of my chin spins and I've had them for 5 years now. I did have to take it away from a single caged chin because he was on it non-stop and I noticed he was losing a little bit of weight. He ate really well, just used the wheel too much. Now he just gets extra out of cage playtime.

I have had wheels & chins for 7 years and never had an incident, either. Was the chin you lost with another chin? It sounds like he could have gotten in a fight with another. Chin fights can be very brutal and cause some really nasty injuries.

So sorry for your loss! I have never heard of an accident with a Chinspin like that, not saying it couldn't happen though! Does sounds like there could have been a fight, like Stackie said.

I have a saucer, sometimes when one of my chins is getting down on it and the other feels like jumping off, I swear it's like they're synchronized or something because the one running will jump off the wheel while it's spinning (absolutely NO idea how they do it) and the other one will jump on...it's pretty funny to watch and usually gets a chuckle out of me since they're next to me. :D

I have a flying Saucer as well. Once the chins figure out how it works they do very well with that. I did have him housed with another chin. It was a boy / girl combo. I had never seen them fight in the past nor did I ever see injuries on them that would lead me to believe they were fighting. They both used to run on the wheel but after that happened and she was alone in the cage she wouldn't even go to the bottom level or has she used the wheel since. Very sad situation.

I have seen some mishaps that thankfully did not result in injuries although they could have. It is a risk you take when giving them a wheel to run on. Any wheel.

I have wheels (mostly chin spins) in most of the pet/rescue cages here... definitely had some chins go flying across the cage over the years from wheel incidents, but luckily no injuries here.

I have to agree with Cuddlebug, there are risks you take with everything. While I haven't had injuries as a result of chins getting thrown from a wheel, that's a chance I take. Same with having a tall cage, the chin can fall, or letting the chin out for playtime, something can happen if they're not supervised.... everything has its risks. You just need to weigh the risks and balance out if you feel it's worth keeping the wheel in. For me, with no injuries, it is worth it, the chins enjoy it. But, I've also never lost a chin from it. Maybe then it'd be different.

Latest posts

Back