Chins won't touch Flying Saucer!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hope

I bought the Flying Saucer from the Quality Cage Co. this week. My two chins won't touch it! Any feedback on how long it usually takes chins to figure it out? You can put an expensive gadget anywhere near me and I'll stay up all night if I have to...;)

Give them time!! It took my girls about 2 weeks till they used it, or since I seen them using it. They might be using it but you just dont see them. Definately give it time though!!

It can take awhile. I gave one to my new chin Axel about a month ago, and I finally caught him using it this evening. :D

I had one chin catch on the day after he got it..his cagemate still hasn't caught on and it's been quite a few months now. But...he's one of my... "special" chinnies if you know what I mean... :p

I've read that some people have to "show" their chin how to use it... like put the chin on the saucer, hold a treat in front of them to get them to walk, and the chin understands.

At the same time, chins are the pickiest and strangest critters ever and, like others have said, it may take awhile for them to get used to it.

It can take a bit longer for chins to learn how to use the Saucer than the regular wheel it seems but I've also had chins just jump on the Saucer soon after I put it in and they got the hang of it. They did look rather clumsy though at first but now they're all experts and one can be going like mad on it, jump off and the other hops on and doesn't miss a beat. I also know of some people whose chins have no interest in either wheel even though they've been installed for months.

Yeah, I had a wheel in my girls cage for a while and they NEVER used it. haha. Picky chins. :))

angel hopped on as soon as i put it in and hasnt gotten off since :) best investment ever!

So far all we've seen Edgar use his for is a slide. Of course his cage looks like a poop party every morning so we know he's all over the cage. Maybe he just never runs on it when we are around. Since he gets daily out times and a good chance to exercise I am going to leave it for at least the summer because it's a cool place for him to hide under.

they could be running when you are not in the room. We just got one for our pair of brothers, we could hear it moving but every time we walked in the room they would stop to see what we were doing. It was probably three weeks before I caught one of them running on it.

I second the running when not in the room possibility. Mine barely ever run on their saucer if they think I'm watching them but as soon as I turn off the light in my room to sleep I hear the wheel going like crazy.

Back