Chins, natural snake killers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
I was reading an MCBA report today and part of one article talked about chinchillas killing snakes. It stated that snakes would sometimes go after chinchillas but be found dead, the chinchilla having bitten behind the head at the spine.

This of course is a short recap.

Who would have thought!

MCBA news volume 51 no. 2

It's in the M.C.B.A. news article titled "the rodent that's worth more than gold" by John Angus Haig.

Last edited:
I am at work and don't have access to the article now or I would post the section. Maybe other MCBA members have it handy.

I would think any prey animal confronted with a preditor would use any defense at their disposal and ocasionally will hit the mark and survive

I have a ton of old articles and books from that time period, they came up with wild ideas like this back then.

I think the article was refering to rattle snakes of all things. Seems a little far fetched to me but it is always interesting to read about the early days of the chinchilla breeding industry.

It could be outdated. I can't find a link but it looked like reprinted material.

I'd certainly never want to find out but they made it sound like chin vs snake was no match for the serpent that thought it had found lunch.

Are they talking about chinchillas in a natural setting? I know rats can do a pretty good number on a snake if they "get lucky enough" to. I'm sure chins, with their teeth can pack a pretty good punch and kill a small snake.... key word being a small snake, and most likely in the natural setting.

I can't see a small rodent taking on a 3-4' snake and winning... but I do know people are encouraged against feeding live rats to snakes, as snakes have come up seriously hurt and/or dead on many occasions.

Latest posts

Back