Chins holding in their poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lirana

Do your chins hold in their poop when they're scared/unhappy?

I noticed Mochi did this when I took her to the vet back in November. It really freaked me out that she didn't poop. We were gone from the house between 2-3 hours. She had maybe 2 poops in her carrier.

A few days ago, we moved her to the living room. For one thing, it's naturally cooler cause it's big. We had her in our computer/guest room. After we moved her, she barely poops in her cage. When it's playtime, it is a literal poop storm!!! Usually there will be a small handful of poops after play time, but since moving her to the living room, there's been at least 3x as much.

We moved her back to the computer room this morning.:facepalm:

Does anyone else have chins that do this?

When chins are more active and moving around their gut motility increases and they make more droppings. It's normal for them to not have as many droppings when they are in a carrier or even when they are under more stress. But sometimes stress will cause them to have an increase in droppings, it depends on the chin. They get excited and poop!

They also poop less during the day or whenever their regular sleeping time is.

No, she's actually holding in her poop. Cage cleaning happens right before play time every day, and since she was moved to the living room, there is significantly less poop.

Doughboy did as he aged. He never pooped on me or when he was moving, but if he stopped to take a break and sat there for 5-10 minutes he would leave a mountain of poops. He never suffered any ill effects from it and it made poop cleanup easy.

Back