Chins found wet and freezing outside in D.C

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sad. These poor chinchillas. The article states that they will be held as strays and will be made available if no owner claims them. Hopefully no one will try to claim them and they will find an amazing new owner.

Hi! I sent an email to the shelter. I will check back with them toosee if they need a foster/adoptor. I live in the area, and get E-new latters from them, too. I hope that I can help. I'll update ya'll!

OMG! Owner claimed their chins!!

I received a reply saying:

"Thank you for your offer to help with the Chinchilla's. These animals were claimed by their owner.
Should we get any in the future, I will be more than willing to give you a call."

OMG! The owner claimed!
I believe that the shelter does its job right and assured that the owner would take care of them right. But, can any of you contact the shelter lady to ask questions to make sure that the owner is an acceptable pet owner? I feel too inmature to ask these questions....The lady's contact info is:

Lisa Bragg
Customer Service
Washington Humane Society - New York Avenue
[email protected]
(202) 724-2408
(202) 576-6664

Last edited:
They'll be lucky if they don't die from pneumonia or some other respiratory issue. I can't even wrap my mind around some of this stuff.

For what POSSIBLE reason would they have relinquished these animals back to their owner??

Legally they have to give the owner a chance to get them back in case there was an accident (friend didn't close a cage etc.). I know I prefer knowing if the cat gets out and slips his collar, I have a chance to try to get him back before he's rehomed. In this case, though, I don't think the shelter realizes how dangerous that kind of neglect can be. :( Poor babies.

An escaped animal is one thing but these poor chins were in a cage on a sidewalk....hmmm, don't think they "accidentally" got there. Sometimes stupid rules amaze me. Poor things.

Yeah, I'm thinking there was no accident involved here either. I hardly think the chins escaped then went back to drag their cage out with them to wait for a bus.

All I can say is WOW. I am aware that shelters are overcrowded and they want to get animals back to their owners, but Really?????????? That freakin blows my mind they would give those chins back to someone that left them like that. UGH.

My goodness, someone at that shelter is lacking a brain. Poor chins! I would think it would be obvious that someone intentionally put those chins out there.

Hold on a minute. What is animal control doing sitting this one out?? They investigate dogs coming in if they're in bad shape and an owner tries to claim them. Why not the chins????

Hold on a minute. What is animal control doing sitting this one out?? They investigate dogs coming in if they're in bad shape and an owner tries to claim them. Why not the chins????

I was thinking the same thing... Why don't they bring charges against the owner for neglect or cruelty?? It is disgusting how some people treat their animals!

Those poor babies!!! They will be lucky to survive that. The DC area winters are pretty bad. I hate stupid people!! Animal abuse makes me wish there was a way to track animal abusers like sex offenders, so that people and shelters can see not to give them more animals to abuse.. :cry3:

The last thing I expected to hear was that these chins would be returned to the owner. In fact, I was thinking I would like to hear someone tried to claim them and was charged with animal cruelty. Thanks for trying to help them Nana. Young maybe, but immature...not my impression.

The last thing I expected to hear was that these chins would be returned to the owner. In fact, I was thinking I would like to hear someone tried to claim them and was charged with animal cruelty. Thanks for trying to help them Nana. Young maybe, but immature...not my impression.

Ditto. It's very disturbing to hear that the poor chins were abandoned but even more so that they were returned to the owner.
My co-worker said her neighbors found a guinea pig outside that was lit on fire. The guinea pig is alive and well but some people are just sick.

Im not ashamed I emailed the idiot lol. I'll let ya'll know what and if she responds to my email.

Back