chins eye all goopy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostongirl'sChin75

Stephanie: Zoo Poo Gal!
Okay, so I have dealt with a lot of teeth issues and such but never any eye issues.That is until today. I noticed that one of my chins eyes was matted shut and upon closer investigation, it has a white milky substance around the rim.
I moistened a cotton ball with warm water and got all the gunk off and was able to open it further and clean it really well and it is looking a little less red and irritated now that I have done that.
I am still taking him to the vet tomorrow, but wanted some ideas on what it could be and if what I did was the right thing to do, in this case. It was very hard to do a thorough examination of the eye because I am having to mask and glove it due to myself having an upper respiratory thing going on right now. Don't worry, I have been limiting my contact with all my chins and pigs and only noticed his eye because I was walking past the cage and he was standing at the bars begging and immediately masked and gloved before holding him.
If it turns out to be an infection or a scratch what should I ask the doc for in the way of meds?
I forgot to add that he is eating normal and pooping and peeing normal, as well. And is still active, as he is jumping around his cage right now chirping.

The vet should do a scratch test first- this is usually done by placing a stain in the eye and looking at it under a special light. If the scratch test shows no scratches, it is probably just an infection. Most common treatment are either a week or two course of eye drops or gel. Eye drops are easier to get into the eye and less messy. Most common are gentamycin, tobramycin, and terramycin, however there are other medications that can be used. Occasionally a stubborn eye infection may need to be treated with opthmalic drops/ointments in addition to an oral antibiotic.

Infections can be touch and go- some can easily be cleared up, others can be a pain in the butt.

Let us know what the diagnosis is so we can give you further advice. :))

If you go the gel route, Terramycin is available from a regular pet/livestock store, don't need to go to the vet to get it. Since you are going anyway, might as well pick up the drops. :))

Sounds like an eye infection to me. When you bring him to the vets they may stain his eye to look for any scratches.

When you get medication for him, ask for eye drops, they are tons easier to administer and the chin can't clean it all off (as opposed to an ointment)

:dance3: looks like we all posted at the same time!

Good news and bad news..The bad news is that I did not get a chance to take my little guy to the vet, as I was at the ER with bronchial pneumonia but the good news is that there has not been anymore milky stuff/redness/puffiness since I cleaned the eye yesterday.

It looks like a normal eye, but should I still take him to the vet tomorrow? I can call tomorrow morning and get him in as an emergency appointment if I should.

As long as it looks normal I would leave it alone, just keep an eye on it. Hope you get better quick!

Latest posts

Back