CHIN'S bloated. Help please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiz123

It's a little long but please try to read the whole thing.

Last night I made a thread about how Freddie's waterbottle wasn't working and that today I went and got a new waterbottle (he had water in a bowl JUST for last night). he didn't drink water for a little less than a day. Since he didn't have water cause the bottle wasn't working, he didn't eat hay or pellets or anything. :( Well I came home to check on him and put the new water bottle in. Turns out he ate SO MUCH! He had his food bowl full and ate almost all the pellets.. ALL the hay, and the hay cubes that he usually never even touches.
The problem is I tried to get him out of the cage to clean up and I touched his belly. Well it's pretty hard and round. Definitely NOT normal. I read a little and I think it's bloating. So i called my vet. Turns out she's out of town for the next 4 days. I'm really scared and he's eating his normal food now AND pooping but I'm 90% sure his stomach is bloated. I don't know what to do. PLEASE try to help. I think he over ate yesterday and today. He ate SO much! His stomach wasn't like this before last night. :(

I would keep a close eye on him. If you see any change in activity or if he becomes lethargic, I would start calling around and try to find another vet. If he's acting normal, hopefully it'll just pass through. Also, make sure he keeps defecating and urinating. If he stops defecating especially, that can indicate a blockage or constipation. Just keep a close eye on him --- hopefully he'll be fine!!

If he is eating, pooping and playful, his belly is probably just full. Keep an eye on his poo and if it gets smaller or he stops pooping, or if he is lethargic, then you have a problem.

If you want, and he will let you, you can massage his tummy. You can also buy some simethicone (infant gas drops) and give him some of that if you want. He can't OD on it, and most chins love it. When I've given it to mine in the past, they just lick it off of my finger.

Bloat chins are lethargic, do not eat or drink and have strange twisting, inch worm motions. Sounds like he is just full but I agree, you can give him the simethicone-a full dropper every 4 or so hours for a day and see what happens.

if your chin constantly shifts when resting (on a ledge or hammock or something else) it might just be gas, try those drops, theres also one called OVOL (its the same thing) but i dont know enough to say u cannot OD on it or not, but i give 0.5 cc (same as 0.5 ML) to my girl (shes about 280 g) and in 1 hour shes back to normal

full dropper?

Bloat chins are lethargic, do not eat or drink and have strange twisting, inch worm motions. Sounds like he is just full but I agree, you can give him the simethicone-a full dropper every 4 or so hours for a day and see what happens.

i have a question, what do you guys mean by "full dropper" how much is that? in either CC or ML? i use ovol,

i was so afraid to kill my chin, i only gave her 1 drop, or about 0.5 CC.... can i give her a full syringe? its the ones they generally hand out, for metacam, they are the length of your finger?

Latest posts

Back