Chins are expensive in more way than one :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llough

So . . . my chinchilla, Izzie, knows that she's not allowed to chew on anything outside of her cage. But, for some reason she just can't resist pieces of paper, specifically MONEY pieces of paper, and especially $20 bills that occasionally get misplaced. She's destroyed at least two, that I can count. She's LITERALLY eating my money!

Then, today, I discovered that she somehow discovered how to unlatch a VERY expensive box of cigars that I had brought back from Ecuador for some friends, and destroyed quite a number of them! (I am now re-chin proofing my living room, and keeping a close eye on her for signs of illness, but I'm pretty sure she just chewed heartily on cigars rather than ate them).

Anyone else's chinchillas have expensive propensities?

Well, I'm pretty sure we're going to lose a chunk of our security deposit, so I know how you feel...

Mine just have a shop-a-holic chin mom...*sigh* :party:

So . . . my chinchilla, Izzie, knows that she's not allowed to chew on anything outside of her cage.

Trust me on this, no, she doesn't. She's a rodent. If there is anything available to chew, she's going to chew it. That is many, many years of instinct at work. The only way to make sure a chin doesn't chew something is to make sure there's nothing available for a chin to chew.

Sucks about your money and you're right to be keeping an eye on her after the cigars. Ugh, those things are so nasty, WHY would anyone chew them on purpose??

Then, today, I discovered that she somehow discovered how to unlatch a VERY expensive box of cigars that I had brought back from Ecuador for some friends, and destroyed quite a number of them!
I would be inclined to get her to the vet and have them pump activated charcoal into her to absorb any poisons she's may have ingested. Nicotine poisoning can be fatal in animals.

I agree with Peggy. There's no way your chin knows she's not supposed to chew on something. If she thinks it smells interesting she'll chew on it to taste it.

I'd be very worried about her eating a cigar.

Well, you're right, I have been soundly proven wrong today that she "knows not to chew on things." I'm calling my vet now . . . thank you for the heads up.

If my chin, or any of my anamals for that matter, ate a pack of cegars.. they LAST thing i'd be worried about is how expensive the cegars were..

they are bad enough to kill humans.. why not a tiny little chin?

I hope Izzie gets treated before any negative affects of the cigars can fully affect her tiny system. Keep us posted on what the vets says.

Well, I'm pretty sure we're going to lose a chunk of our security deposit, so I know how you feel...

I definitely am in the same boat as you. A little while after we first got Phoenix I noticed that she had chewed along the bathroom door since I would place her in there to clean her cage. I was mad at first but then I was happy that she was starting to be more comfortable with me.

I called my vet that same night, and by her instructions I gave Izzie some activated charcoal that I had on hand as well as some acidophilus pro-biotics just to give her tummy a little boost. She did NOT like taking the activated charcoal, but took it mixed with some mixed up supplement that she likes.

Since then, she's been acting normally, hopping around for play time as usual, eating, pooping, taking her daily treat of oats/herbs. She's been searching for her lost tasty cigars, lol, but as I said, I've re-chin proofed my living room and those as well as anything else that she might even think about chewing have been locked away in a cabinet or put out of reach.

As a side note, I had thought that I had absolutely everything dangerous out of reach for her, but last night she actually managed to get into my half way zipped purse, OPEN my wallet, and snag a $10 bill out of it. I heard her munching on something, though, and took it away before she could get a bite out of it. I sort of feel like its hard to "win" in terms of chin-proofing, and even though I've triple checked every "danger" and I'm watching her every other second, she manages to get in some sort of minor trouble. :banghead:

I'm assuming that's sort of part of owning a chinchilla, though? You just do your best?

Thank you guys so much for your concern and advice, I appreciate it very much. If I had thought that Izzie had eaten the cigars rather than just chewing on them and was in danger, I certainly would NOT have made a joke about chins being expensive and eating my expensive cigars. It was my mistake for not realizing the danger earlier, and as I said before, thank you for pointing out my error and having me call the vet that night. I will certainly be more cautious in the future.

Thank you guys so much for your concern and advice, I appreciate it very much. If I had thought that Izzie had eaten the cigars rather than just chewing on them and was in danger, I certainly would NOT have made a joke about chins being expensive and eating my expensive cigars. It was my mistake for not realizing the danger earlier, and as I said before, thank you for pointing out my error and having me call the vet that night. I will certainly be more cautious in the future.

Stuff happens. :) At least you are willing to listen. Trust me, we get many people on here who ask for advice and then do whatever they want anyways... even if it is really hurtful for the chins/hedgies/other critters involved.

Personally, I want to thank you for taking the advice that you were offered. A lot of people here are EXPERTS on chins and can really help you out if you're willing to take their advice!

Please keep us posted on your money-hungry little girl!

Aw Im glad she's alright. Chins are little animals that like to find holes to explore, anything dark and hole-ish, they are in there like a flash.

Latest posts

Back