Chinnies and old age

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have PM'ed menagerie already to get some CC here....I have plenty of hair dye bottles if needed...lol
Because rodents are small you do not have to take food away....the reason being is that if the food is taken away there glucose level can drop too low
Thanks you so much for the advice for feeding

If you need some PANR I can mail some out to you today. I can fit 11 lbs in a flat rate priority shipping box. If I mail it to you today it would be there tomorrow since you're only 2.5 hours away from me. Just PM me if you need anything.

Also, I have some CC if you need it. I have the lb and I can mail it to you. I ordered it from menagerie and opened it so I could give my chins a taste. I barely used any at all. Enough to make a tiny ball of CC to give to the chins. I can always order more from her if you need what I have. I could mail that to you priority as well. Just let me know.

Laura...I am soo sorry to hear about Chi.. :( When is her surgery? I also have some CC on hand if you need it. Just let me know. I should be home tomorrow.. we are going to try to drive straight through tonight.

Thank you everyone for the words fo support....Chi Chi is in surgery as we speak...the vet called at noon to let me know he was going to start at 1 and that he would call me as soon as she was awake....I get more nervous with every passing minute...I think I have worn a path in the rug in my classroom from pacing soooo much!!!!!

I will post an update tonight after I pick her up

Thanks again

i wish chi chi all the best!!! please post updates as soon as you can!!! im hoping for a healthy and speedy recovery!!

Oh gosh, I wish Chi Chi the best!!! Please keep us updated.

ETA: Oh and I wouldn't re-use the hair dye bottles since they contained harmful chemicals. Its too difficult to wash them well enough to be acceptible for feeding.

Chi Chi is now home from surgery...before I took her in I bought some syringes for small animals and fed her some critical care and got her weight up 40 grams....turns out that her lower molar on the left was rotten and infected...so she lost that tooth...the vet said her teeth were not as bad as what the xrayed showed but he did say she squirmed alot during the xray...she also got an injection of antibiotics and meds to give her each day...when I fist got to the vet she was still heavily sedated...but when I picked her up to put her in her carrier she opened her eyes and looked right at me...it was only for a few seconds but I knew she knew it was me....I put her in her carrier and half way home she just jumped and sat up....when I got her home she wobbled out of her carrier and settled down into my arms....I have her in a small cage with nothing for her to jump on....she has tried to walk and is still very wobbly but if I get up and walk away she tries to turn to see where I am going....as crazy as it sounds I think seeing me has really motivated her to shake it all off....still keeping my fingers crossed

I am glad she came through surgery fine :). Since she lost a tooth, did the vet say that she would have to have regular filings of the tooth that it would normally occlude with? I am assuming that you got some pain medication and maybe an antibiotic? Watch her weight to check for loss while on the antibiotics. She may not be comfortable eating on her own for several days (that was my experience with my chinnie anyway). My chinnie slowly started gaining with the CC feedings. I am going to start hand-feeding again since she hasn't been putting as much weight on as I think she should. Best wishes for your girl to recover quickly!

yes the vet gave me pain meds and antibiotics....the only thing that he said about her teeth was that he filed back her teeth some but not as much as he had planned because once he could see them he said that they were just a little long...he said that he believes that her lower molar was causing her pain and that is why she was not chewing as much on her own....he said to just keep an eye on her weight and we will go from there....in a few weeks she will go for a check up and then we will discuss how often she needs to come in.....he basically said that since I knew so much about chins and was able to catch this one earlier on than most people would that he is sure I will bring her in whenever I feel necessary....He also asked for the address of this forum...he wants to tell other clients that have chins to check it out...

Oh no...I am so sorry for your loss. I was so hopeful that all was well, what happened I wonder...hugs.

I am so very sorry. How hard it must be to lose a 9 year long friend. Know she had a great life with you, a great happy long life. Know she is happy now and eating all the rosehips she wants!

Thank you everyone..the only thing we can figure is that her little body was just too old for all of it...I knew that going into it....I had to go to work today and she was sitting up when I left....my boyrfriend was with her for the afternoon and he said that she was sitting up but sleeping a lot...when i got home she was on her side and I picked her up and rubbed her chest...she opened her eyes and squeaked...I said "hold on baby girl' she kept looking at me and I kissed her and laid her down on the ottoman and I said "Ok if you don't want to stay here I understand...I love you very much and always will love you. If this is too much it is ok to go...." she raised her head up to look at me and took her last breathe...I think I saw her heart break through her eyes...I know she is sitting in a big hammock eating all the cheerios and raisins that she wants and I know that she can see me from where she is at....it still feels as if she is in the house.....

I am going to miss my baby girl and i am thankful I was blessed to have her in my life for 11 years....

That truly made me cry and I'm not usually that emotional. :(

Again, I am so sorry that happened. She knew she was loved.

Latest posts

Back