Chinchillas do have a gallbladder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanya

So many websites state that chinchillas do not have a gallbladder, why? :hmm:
"It's located between the right and median sides" from the book exotic animal medicine for the veterinary technician.
I found a picture taken during necropsy, it shows that chinchillas have a gallbladder,http://www.minipets.co.za/content/view/28/48/. I have a bigger picture but is it allowed to post pictures like that?

I have a bigger picture but is it allowed to post pictures like that?

You can save the picture to a photobucket (or similar) site and then link it using [ IMG] before and [ /IMG] after the link. You will have to take out the spaces inside the brackets. I had to type it that way or the tags disappear. ;)

This is a myth which has been perpetuated through the years on many forums, websites etc. I think the increase in "proper" (and by that I simply mean veterinary, documented and/or photographed) necropsies has finally put that myth to bed.
There are a few sites which have been written to show or discuss chinchilla anatomy including gallbladder site/photos such as the one linked above. Hopefully more sites will start to address the myth too. :)

Another couple of sites/info for those interested:

The Exotic Animal Medicine for Veterinary Technicians Book on Google books

Shoots Chinchilla Ranch - necropsy info

Sadly the excellent necropsy photos which were originally posted on a UK chinchilla forum a few years ago which clearly showed the gallbladder are no longer available :(

Horses haven't got gallbladders, which is probably where the myth came from. Bile aids in digestion of fats, among other things, and obligate herbivores haven't got as much need for them. But if I recall correctly, cattle do have gallbladders, so there you go.

I saw my chinchilla's gallbladder on ultrasound, which proved to me that at least one chinchilla has a gallbladder...

I've seen it in my necropsies. In fact, I have a chin I could necropsy and take pics of-if people are interested. Just let me know and I will thaw him out on Monday.

jessica

Back