chinchillas.com ??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
Just wondering but I know chinchillas.com ships and sells chins and I guess as live auctions. My only question is why are the animals so extremely priced !!!!?? I have seen very few on there for the average going price for sale. Does he ever sell any that are of normal pricing ? I just haven't figured out that site yet lol I mean to me $900 is a little extreme for a chinchilla.

It's a matter of a couple things, name, reputation, quality, rarity, and market. Many of the chins on there sell internationally.

I had looked in the site due to fact I have very limited options on ways to get quality animals. Very few breeders of high quality do shipping wich is an issue for me because I can't expand my herd if I can't get chins shipped to me. I have my shoots shipment this year but its only for 6 animals and I of course would need a shipment of different lines wich I'm having a hard time doing for the following year. I have only come in contact with 3-4 breeders that ship .... I just could never bring myself to pay those prices and I didn't understand why they were so high but that does make sense.

for what it is worth, I travel from the Chattanooga area to the Mobile area pretty regularly (lol - like when I bought those FNs from you a couple months back)... if I can assist with some railroad action, let me know!

Maybe no one wants to ship to you because you jerk people around, can't "afford" to go to shows or don't have reliable enough transportation to go... talk to one person, try to buy from another, talk to another person... most breeders who have been around talk to each other...

Personally, I am 3 hrs away from the airport. It's a day long ordeal for me to ship, I do ship, but it costs extra. Most people don't want to deal with the airlines, setting everything up, getting the vet certificates, and worrying that the animal will die on the way from stress or mis-handling.

Sorry I'm trying to do what's rite and buy proper animals.... Even when I Do stuff rite I still can't seem to please people... My original shipment fell through and I had to scramble to get another one.

How do you know what is a good quality chin from a bad quality one? Just because the chin had a pedigree or comes from a breeder does not mean they are quality, even good breeders have duds and culls. How do you know you are not being sold culls if you don't bother to go to shows? I agree with Nicole, word travels and the chinworld is small and you have burned some bridges with your attitude.

for what it is worth, what I have been repeatedly told is that if I am 'for realsies' about this, then I need to get my monkey butt to some shows - learn what I am looking for, ask questions, meet some folks, pick their brains... and if I am going to do any breeding, then I need to commit to taking some of the kids to shows to make sure I am doing the right things... at this point, I have already made arrangements to attend the MCBA nationals in March (we were going to try to hit the Ohio Claim Show last month, but life got a little nutty...) and am hoping the ECBC Southern show ends up nearby as well...

and just because a bridge has been burned, does not mean it is irreparable - however, it takes TIME and a demonstration of personal integrity on a consistent basis (in this case, commiting to doing the right things - not a quick fix)... just my opinion, for what it may be worth...

my wife and I have been fortunate enough to meet a few exceptional folks already and for me, one of the keys is keeping the lines of communication/ contact open and being willing and open minded enough to learn (because although I have a lot of experience with pets/ animals/ small critters, I am still a bit of a chin-noob, though I am doing my homework and taking my lumps)

keep the faith and do the next right thing :)

If you're willing to spend the money to ship chins that may or may not be of good quality, then invest that money into traveling to a show. When you're at a show you can talk to people, and the judges/ knowledgeable breeders can help you pick out not only quality animals, but animals that compliment each other. If you don't have reliable transportation look into public transportation, carpooling etc...

You've been told multiple times about what you need to do to go about this the right way. If you can't do it properly then don't breed chinchillas. Enjoy your pets, spoil them rotten. If you have a compulsion to breed something look into a species that would be better suited to your lifestyle. From the posts you make it seems like chinchilla breeding isn't a good match for you. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being honest based on what I've observed. There are so many things to consider; quality, showing/gaining knowledge, proper care, medical costs, supplies.... if you can't give it 110% then you're doing a diservice to your animals and the future owners of their offspring.

I'm still waiting to see where that show is going to be that was being debated on a location in Alabama or tn. I would love to attend it being where its at. I have also had an offer to car pool to nationals but if I can't get off of work I can't go. I don't have a job that plenty of people can cover for me. There are only three of us working there. I'm in the process of starting a new job so maybe when I get this one I may possibly be able to . But if it requires days off at a time I don't see that possible rite now with college. All the shows are so far from me.

Yes I have burned my bridges but I have been in the process of repairing them. I have talked to Ralph personally on the phone and have told him everything I have done and what I wanted to accomplish and he has promised to send me what I needed to do that. So if you believe Ralph would mess me over then I guess that's an opinion but I have been told by many that Ralph was a great option for me and that he would send me the proper animals .

Like i said, I have made a great change in the correct direction. I don't see it necessary to keep badgering me. I believe that if I wasn't trying I would not spend this amount of money on the proper animals. I also would love to get to go to a show and show either one from Ralph or an offspring from ralphs chins he is sending me. I just ask that people please stop holding the past over my head. I am honestly trying and I have let go of any grudge I ever had. I just ask that people do the same and start to please show me some respect and help me rather then jump all over me and tell me that I burned bridges. I have been trying to repair those bridges and prove that I want to try and want to learn.

If it weren't for school and work problems I would have already been to a show by now ! I want to attend a large show so bad I just can't find it possible at this time. I do want to though. It's not that I don't want to. Maybe by next show season when I'm settled into this new job and out of school I can attend a few shows. I would love to attend nationals honestly. But I'd like to attend a few smaller shows and show some of my chins I'm recieving from Ralph. I will def need someone to help me though so I do wal that people please give me a chance. I don't want to attend a show and no one even want to help me due to them holding a grudge about my past. I trully want to change. I promise ....

If I couldn't find it possible time wise to attend a show what if possibly I found a great mentor who knew great quality and possibly took a flight to there house and was shown a lot , would that greatly help me? I'm thinking for the time being if I cant do a show maybe I can be taught one on one by someone very experienced ? I feel that if I had someone to work with me one on one I would be able to take in so much more because I would have so much more time to question and ask .

If it weren't for school and work problems I would have already been to a show by now ! I want to attend a large show so bad I just can't find it possible at this time. I do want to though. It's not that I don't want to. Maybe by next show season when I'm settled into this new job and out of school I can attend a few shows.

Then with you being so busy right now, I suggest you not worry about getting more chins until you can attend these shows and actually see the quality of those chins being shown and are able to show the animals you already have.

If I couldn't find it possible time wise to attend a show what if possibly I found a great mentor who knew great quality and possibly took a flight to there house and was shown a lot , would that greatly help me? I'm thinking for the time being if I cant do a show maybe I can be taught one on one by someone very experienced ? I feel that if I had someone to work with me one on one I would be able to take in so much more because I would have so much more time to question and ask .

ETA: We posted at the same time but how can you find the time to fly out to someone's place and not find the time to go to a show?

Last edited:
i think if you have things changing in your life right now, like work and college, then perhaps the best thing would be to hold off on breeding and just enjoy the chins you have. wait until things are stable in your life and you have a set schedule and you know how much time you can devote to breeding.

just my two cents.

You've contacted me twice as well as many other reputable breeders this year. You've heard the same thing from many of us you've talked to. Now you're hearing it again by members on this thread. I do believe your intentions are good and you want to get good quality chins to breed. Your methods are not going to allow that to happen. You told me you only had $1000 to spend on a group of animals, if you're getting 6 animals from Ralph for $1000 you're going to get the quality that your paying for. Ralph sells his really good quality for $300+ per animal. We all that have been to shows and bought from him know this. You're probably not going to be happy with what you get when the deal is done. That is not Ralph's fault, it's your own. You want 6 chins for $1000 you're going to get the quality that you pay for. As an example, I went to the Ohio claim show last weekend, I was delivering some chins I had sold and wasn't really looking to buy any. I know quality in chins and can recognize and evaluate it in every chin I see. I saw a bv male before the show Saturday morning that caught my eye, I compared it with the Hummel bv male that everyone assumed was the best one there (because of his reputation) and had already been claimed Friday night before I got there. I could see under the lights that this bv male was nicer overall and I claimed it for $200, it ended up being the GSC of the show. I also claimed a standard male that had stand out blue color (which is what I breed for in my standards) for $200. I could have contacted any reputable breeder and said I wanted a good quality bv and standard male for $400 and they would have sold me 2 for that price. They most likely would not have been the overall quality and had as many of the attributes I was looking for as the 2 I bought in person. Many people (including me) have bought animals sight unseen from well known breeders and not been happy with the chins when they received them. We're not trying to pile on you for this, just letting you know that you may continue to be disappointed in your chins and wasting your money if you continue to buy this way. I hope you're not when you receive your animals, but my experience tells me you probably will be. Buying at shows in person is always better then buying sight unseen. You learn more that way and 9 times out of 10 you'll be happier with your purchase in the end.

Because that would be one day of traveling to somones house verses a whole weekend on a show. I was trully asking if that would be helpful. Ralph already has my deposit for the chins. I will no longer be in school after December so I'm hoping when I settle in with the new job I will have time for shows. I would love to start attending shows next show season for sure .

No I inderatand mark, I actually am spending a good bit over a 1000 with Ralph when I told him what I wanted. I made it clear I wanted herd improvement animals only . So hopefully I won't be disapointed....

I am hoping highly on attending shows next season, if so I would love to show my animals I am getting from Ralph when I do attend !!!! I just need someone to help me at the show being I don't know how to groom or anything lol.

Last edited:
:deadhorse: You can talk the talk and have done so for some time now, excuses why you are too busy to go to a show. How come the good breeders here all go? Do they not have Jobs and Family? They do and they make the effort to go. Rather than keep wasting money on chinchillas that you have no idea on what quality is, just wait, learn, actually show people you are trying and then maybe people will show more respect for you wanting to breed. Buying chinchillas sight unseen without any idea of what should be bred to what does not make any sense at all.

Amen!! From what I understand Ralph is still breeding to a far lesser extent.

:bump1:
You've contacted me twice as well as many other reputable breeders this year. You've heard the same thing from many of us you've talked to. Now you're hearing it again by members on this thread. I do believe your intentions are good and you want to get good quality chins to breed. Your methods are not going to allow that to happen. You told me you only had $1000 to spend on a group of animals, if you're getting 6 animals from Ralph for $1000 you're going to get the quality that your paying for. Ralph sells his really good quality for $300+ per animal. We all that have been to shows and bought from him know this. You're probably not going to be happy with what you get when the deal is done. That is not Ralph's fault, it's your own. You want 6 chins for $1000 you're going to get the quality that you pay for. As an example, I went to the Ohio claim show last weekend, I was delivering some chins I had sold and wasn't really looking to buy any. I know quality in chins and can recognize and evaluate it in every chin I see. I saw a bv male before the show Saturday morning that caught my eye, I compared it with the Hummel bv male that everyone assumed was the best one there (because of his reputation) and had already been claimed Friday night before I got there. I could see under the lights that this bv male was nicer overall and I claimed it for $200, it ended up being the GSC of the show. I also claimed a standard male that had stand out blue color (which is what I breed for in my standards) for $200. I could have contacted any reputable breeder and said I wanted a good quality bv and standard male for $400 and they would have sold me 2 for that price. They most likely would not have been the overall quality and had as many of the attributes I was looking for as the 2 I bought in person. Many people (including me) have bought animals sight unseen from well known breeders and not been happy with the chins when they received them. We're not trying to pile on you for this, just letting you know that you may continue to be disappointed in your chins and wasting your money if you continue to buy this way. I hope you're not when you receive your animals, but my experience tells me you probably will be. Buying at shows in person is always better then buying sight unseen. You learn more that way and 9 times out of 10 you'll be happier with your purchase in the end.

I've heard old ranchers say that the thing about herd improvement is you need to know WHO'S herd they're improving by being sold...

You wanted to get about 9 animals from me for about $1000, then you picked out pw male - 300, white female - 175, std female - 125 and std male - 125. That's four animals and $725... plus shipping is is $200, plus health certificates, $45, plus gas to get them to the airport, 3 hrs away... Your desires don't match up with your budget. I realize you offered to send me a deposit and such, but filling in the order with what you are asking for, to what you are willing to pay, that just doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back