Chinchillas and 4-H?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since chinchillas are classified as agricultural products you would think the 4-H would classify them as such also. They are not pocket pets or companion animals.

In NJ they are classified as 'exotics'. In fact, I have to have a permit to sell them and give permit 'slips' to anyone who buys from me in NJ. As for as 4-h, if you have any animal as a pet you can have a club for that pet. In fact, You can form any club for just about anything as long as you are responsible and have the 4-h big leaders permission and can work 'a program' around it.

Mandy, I have the three books that you can use for a 4H project in Ohio if you want to look at them. None of them have been used as my daughter and I decided to show at ECBC and MCBA shows instead as our chapter was not very active. There is a small animals resource book, a small animals project book and a small animals record book. There is also a book titled from Airedales to Zebras - but it is geared for grades 3-5. For these projects it was not necessary to actually breed your chin but you are expected to know how to breed them and be very informed on them. The problem we encountered was that most of the information in the booklets given was incorrect and if you do not answer the judges questions correctly from the book then you do not do well. They don't seem too interested in being educated on real facts about chinchillas from actual breeders. I am located in West Chester - just north of Cincinnati. Just pm me if you are interested.

Back