chinchilla wink?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

this morning my chinny winked at me ...twice...once from each eye lol...it looked deliberate and forced...i have read that chinchilla's do wink as a form of communication...but does anyone know what it means lol??? silly chinny...

I love the winks!
I actually never heard that it was a form of communication. If so, that'd be really interesting. I just always assumed it was from all the dust and hay particles in the air - like it might make them wink and tear up a little.
Either way, it's too adorable :)

My one boy, Eragon, winks at me when I'm in there talking to him. I'd like to think that's it a way they say "I love you."

Both of mine wink at me. My boy, Patch, winks at me all the time but he doesn't wink at my boyfriend. He must like me better :) lol

You know, I've never heard of this but I think its great that they do that, I wish mine would wink at me :(

I like to think its a way of comunitating satisfaction becuase Petra does it after a good scritching and Nyx does is while I had feed her hay.

OOOH OHHH Pick me! I know!!

I read that the winks and blinks are not at all inadvertant and that they mean one of two things:

I am a little afraid, please be gentle OR
I am content and happy

When I talk to my chins or give them scratches under their chin or stomach they wink. I think it is very cute.

I'm thinking YES--i've had quite a few times over the years that the chins have winked and it was absolutely at the right time-as to say-i'm happy and i like you! I do watch my chins in their cages, with each other, etc. and they're not winking-just to be winking. They do it and they get a great response from me or my daughter. And, it's cute and they know it!!hehe

i love reading all these stories!!! thanks everyone!!! when my baby winked at me we were just looking at each other lovingly...so i'll take it as i love you and i'm happy lol!!!

We had Gerbils before we had Chinchillas, in Gerbils it means "everything is okay!" So we take it to mean that the Chinchillas are happy and secure when they wink... Our girls so it when they are being held, exploring our hands and jut when we admire them! Rodents are sweet with their loving reassuring winks!!

Latest posts

Back