Chinchilla Wheel Help!-Review

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillathechinchilla

Hello everyone! Upon looking for my chinchilla's wheel, I came across this http://chincessories.com/cageaccessories.htm
(Chinchilla Wheel at bottom of page) For $20, I would like to know if anyone has this specific wheel model, and your honest opinion of its overall quality.
Noise is not a problem, I'd just like to know it's level of sturdiness etc.

If anyone out there has purchased this wheel, Howe much did you pay for shipping, and was it worth the money?

I live in Canada, so plus the shipping, the total could sky-rocket my limit.

Thanks everyone for your help,

-Sophie & Chilla

I bought this wheel when we first got Gizmo. It is well made but VERY noisy. The running surface is not level, sort of tips out but that didn't seem to bother her. I upgraded to chin spins after a few months mainly because of the noise and adopting my 2 other girls. Not sure what I paid for shipping but I don't remember it being really bad.

I would save your money to get a good wheel you know will last.

I'm not sure if you've seen the Silver Surfer wheels, but here's the link: http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=106

I just ordered a Chin Spin about a week ago, so I can't tell you much about the Silver surfer wheels, but from what I've heard they are nice wheels.

You can find second hand wheels on kijiji.ca if you watch for them. Flowertown chinchillas sells the flying saucer and are in Canada.

I have chin spins, flying saucers and love them. I was given one of the wheels you are looking at but I gave it away as it is noisy!

My main issue with the cheap wheels are the ball bearings, when they get dusty they stop rolling. I was constantly having to take it out and try to lubricate it to get it going again, and that was a big nasty mess.

Flying Saucer

Save your money for the Flying Saucer wheel. Love them, and the dust isn't really an issue as they have caps to cover the bearings....I only have to change the bearings on a couple of my 15 wheels each year. I regret buying the Silver Surfers and would not buy another. Buy the Flying Saucer direct from the inventors...they're great people!

http://www.flyingsaucerwheels.com/

Wow, really? Have you invented something better that has sold thousands, and that many thousands are very happy with? I didn't think so.

Wow, really? Have you invented something better that has sold thousands, and that many thousands are very happy with? I didn't think so.

Ummm....wow. She was referring to the wheel the thread was made about, not the one you posted about. Even then, I'm confused as to why anyone would get that snotty about someone's opinion about a wheel.

Motor Oildrip pan/Feed pan
seamless-utility-pan-180x180.jpg

That said, I agree completely about Dawn's assessment of the feed pan wheel. It's SUPER loud and only works until it doesn't come into contact with dust. Once dust gets into the bearings, it's done. If you really want to have a cheap wheel like the one you listed, you can build it yourself for about $6-$8 in supplies. I built one with a feed store bought pan, and the lazy susan bearing from Lowes and spent right at $8.00. Needless to say it has since been replaced by a MUCH better wheel.

Last edited:
Oh sorry! Since Ticklechin did not quote what post she was referring to, I thought (as I believe most would) she was referring to my comment about the Flying Saucer. I love those wheels and was very surprised when I thought she was negatively commenting on them. My mistake!

The wheel is very, very noisy. Mine came sticky, and nothing I did got it unsticky. The running path is a bit narrow. I replaced mine within a few days of putting it in the cage. I got a silver surfer for $50. It was so worth the extra money.

I use the "drip pan" wheel as a vacation wheel. I have two, and yes they are noisy. I considerably reduced the noise by packing the bearing with silicone. The low clearance on the back of the wheel keeps the bearing out of reach of your chin. The stickiness I took care of by washing the wheel with dish soap and then wiping it down with vinegar and rinsing again. Not sure which cut that film but both wheels arrived sticky and were clean before either chin touched them. This wheel takes some effort to get started, too. Gives the chin a workout. :) Both my chins had these wheels going at some awesome speeds all vacation long.

I don't use this wheel in the every day cage for two reasons. One, it's narrow (4 inches) and I prefer to give my boys lots of room to run comfortably. Two, it slopes out. They don't seem to have a problem with that but both my boys like to sit in their wheels and the slope doesn't really encourage that. The noise is not a factor since my home and vacation cages are not in a bedroom.

The price of this wheel is right, though, for a spare if I were to occasionally foster a rescue and for my vacation use. It's light weight, low profile and easy to clean and store. I bought two and I don't regret it. As long as you know the negatives, this is a good wheel for limited use, or someone on a restricted budget. The seller also did a great job making shelves for me for my vacation cages and getting them there in time. Well worth the wait and investment.

I did invest in Chin Spins for home every day use as did many other members. There are lots of threads detailing the Chin Spin. My chins love them.

Back