Chinchilla Rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
2013 wasn't too terrible for chin rescue here, but 2014 has already proven to be much different. I've taken in 17 rescues in January so far. It isn't a big deal to take them in if they are young and healthy but some aren't young or healthy. Or, the previous owners just were unaware of what was going on with their chins...(I prefer to believe this because I don't want to think that they were just casting off their problems on me while getting to feel good about doing the right thing.)

One came in last week and just looking at him I knew he had problems. Ever see a chin that you know has a serious heart murmur just by looking at him? I have one now...I want him to calm down before we head off to the vet because he gets so worked up and exhausted, I don't think that letting him out for playtime will be an option.

Yesterday a rescue had two little baby boys, both perfect in every way. While it is a joy to see the babies and see them be so healthy, this really shouldn't have happened. (So, I guess that's 17 rescues and two stowaways?)

The common thread with the reasons behind getting rid of the chins with the previous owners is that they didn't think ahead when they got the chins. Granted, two of the chins were given up because of illness and I can't fault the woman for giving them up. I wish people would realize that adopting a chin can mean 10 to 15 years or more of caring for it! They go to the petstore and buy a chin and don't think about this. Also, it would be great if people would carefully check the sex of chins they are placing in the same cage together. There are actually five chins out of this month's rescues that came into the world by accident...or by misdiagnosis of the sex of the chins placed together.

I'm not complaining. I love having new chins come in. Some rescues can be so amazingly fun and challenging. Some will have to go to the vet, most of them are healthy and need better food and a more positive environment. They're lucky to be here and I am lucky to have them here. (Some mornings I wake up and feel differently...I get so tired sometimes!)

Anyone looking to adopt a chinchilla reading this,

PLEASE understand that a chin is work, it may live for over a decade, it requires vet care when it is sick or injured, boys and girls make babies so determine the sex of your chins before you buy them, and just because you are moving or going to school doesn't mean that giving up your chins is absolutely necessary! Make time for your pets, please. They miss you when you give them up...they are a member of your family and you are a member of theirs! When you give them up they are stressed, scared and even seem to grieve because their worlds are turned upside down.

I'm not saying this to be mean or angry. Although, I may be a little exhausted...it's that people need to understand that adopting/buying/taking on a chin is serious business. They're cute and a lot of fun, but when things get a little tough in life some sacrifice may need to be made to keep them and keep them happy.

Anyway, January 2014 has been busy and I probably need a vacation. :)

I agree Susan. People don't really think about longevity of certain animals-esp chinchillas and birds. i try to make a backup plan for any animal that I bring into our family for a possiblity of a time when I or my family could no longer care for them. I am sure I will get slammed for saying this, but I do have a few precious geriatric and/or special needs pets that I have made it very clear to my husband/daughter and extended family that they are never to be rehomed but euthanized humanely if all other plans fall through. I know many people can/will not understand this, but please respect that I make a promise to every animal that comes into our family that they will never go to another home unless they would recieve equal or better care than I or we can give. I thank God that I have never had to cross this heartwrenching situation, but I have tried to provide contingency plans for my animals.

I have a life insurance policy to help care for the chins until everything can be sorted out... It isn't much, but it is enough to pay for expenses in moving them and getting everything to where it needs to be. It sounds morbid, but it makes me feel better.

As long as I can care for the chins I will care for them...they will always be loved and get vet care after that.

I understand about the elderly chins. When they get to be very old moving them into a new home may not be an option. Stress can kill them, they can get sick very easily and they get depressed. I had a couple of 18 year old chins come in a couple years ago, they were in outstanding health for their age. But, they went downhill and within a year one passed away and a couple months later the other one passed. It may have been their time to go, but I suspect that being taken out of the home they had been in so long contributed to their decline a great deal.

Sometimes life does just throw you a curve ball and you have to rehome or put down an animal you planned to care for it's entire life. Sometimes you also just end up with something you can't care for it's entire life but giving it a temp home and finding it a new home is better than it's current situation. It does seem though that a lot of people jump the gun on rehoming. Rather than working things out for a temporary problem they just get rid of the animal. Probably the most common reason I see is a new baby. Most people want kids eventually but they do not consider that issue when they buy a long lived animal and the temporary high stress of a newborn causes them to make rash decisions. I've ended up with hedgehogs that way and I used to do guinea pig rescue. I'd get in a lot of gp that were rehomed due to a new baby or the child not handling the gp correctly causing it to squeal or even bite.

Esp the biting/scratching issue. We were always raised with the motto "if it has teeth it can/will bite and if it has feet it can/will kick and scratch" and the "never mess with an animal's food or bowl while they are eating".With my folks,if an animal bit/scratched or yelped their first response was "what did you do to deserve it?" not "OMG it's vicious and we have to get rid of it!" Yes I do believe in protecting young children from animals AND animals from young children. One of the first lessons in kindness and compassion often is in regard to how an animal is treated.

One of the little babies that was born last week passed away this morning. :( I just want to cry all day now. His father was either the father or the brother of the mama, so I guess this is to be expected. The other one seems alright, but the one that died was fine until I found him.

Ugggggggggggggggg....

I have three other chins that came in this weekend. One is a very elderly chin, he's so cute and well behaved. I think he's over 15 or 16 years old! He's going to stay with me.

Anyway...today hasn't been a very good day and I have to whine a bit. :)

So sorry to hear about the baby :( I hope the other one makes it!

Its nice to hear you are keeping the elderly chin though :) he deserves to have a great home for the rest of his time and I know you will give him one!

He's having a great time! He's eating hay and trashing his cage with his buddy. I moved things around so that they have the prime cage location for watching the television. I'm just praying that moving here at such an advanced age isn't too hard on the little guy. He does get a little moody sometimes, it's absolutely adorable! Today he sat in the dust bath for two hours and didn't want to come out...that was fine. :) I love how a grumpy old man chin can somehow brighten the day with his grumping.... :D

I think I have one more chin coming into rescue soon. Not to sound too moody myself, but I hope this is the last one for at least a few weeks. :D

I know how you feel. I was just involved in a 59 chinchilla rescue in Pa. I am caring for 18 myself and dispersed the rest to other rescues. The way people can neglect and ignore animals is beyond me. Unfortunately 12 of the rescues are possibly pregnant females. Im hoping no babies.

Oh no! That's a lot of rescues all at once. I hope none of them are pregnant, but some probably are. I'm sorry for the stress! Right now I am grateful that the rescues come in a few at a time. All the rescue people, who used to help out in AZ, have either moved or have no interest in helping....so if it were 50 rescues needing a place to go, it would would be up to me to take care of all of them. (I'm getting too old to be able to do all the extra work and get so little sleep that a really big rescue would require!)

Thanks for taking care of them! :)

That's hard, and I'm sorry for the loss, Susan.

Along with owners not knowing what to expect...that's the reason I will almost NEVER sell to a parent getting a chin for their child. So many times, chins are given up because a) the kid no longer cares for it, or b) the kid went to college and now the parent has to care for it.

December was busy for me, January was quiet except for some adoptions. Probably quiet due to all the snow we keep getting.

Hopefully February will be quiet with surrenders!

Back