Chinchilla Oil Painting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDZCRanch

RavenousDeadlyZombieChins
So this is still a work in progress, but I wanted to share and get some opinions from people.

My mom's next door neighbor is an AMAZING painter. The pictures of her paintings don't do them justice. How the light plays on the layers of oil really brings the animals to life when you see these paintings in person. She heard from my mom that I have chinchillas and wanted to do a painting of them to see what she could do with them. She is completely unfamiliar with chinchillas and had never touched one, let alone seen one in person. She did a painting for me based off photos of two different chinchillas.

Now, since she wants to be able to get the chinchillas just right, she needs some help getting everything correct. The ebony chinchilla to me is perfect in person. The paws are a little big, but it makes it look like she's reaching out to you instead of looking goofy in person. The white chinchilla we are having trouble with. We suggested bringing the ear in, making the fold more prominent, making the lower jaw smaller and rounding out the left side of the face to give it a fluffier appearance. What do you think?

Attachments

• Chinchilla oil painting.jpg
    Chinchilla oil painting.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 139
i love it just the way it is. for somebody that hasn't seen a chin, and doesn't know a thing about them, your mom's neighbour is very talented! i like paintings that are just a tad 'off', where things are not exactly as they would be in real life. those big paws and the slight little differences between these painted chins and real chins make the portrait that much more endearing :))

That is gorgeous! I think it's great as it is too... it's so hard for people to capture what chinchillas really look like that this is awesome!

Agreed with the ebony. Very nice. The white is a little creepy. It looks like a cat in the face. I think its right ear needs to be undercut a little as it attaches to the side of the head. Also, needs more shadowing. The base of the ears I expect darker areas as it attaches to the head. White things are difficult to paint because its hard to give it depth and texture. Take clouds for example, there are multiple areas where there is shadowing as well as other colors tinted in...and clouds behind clouds, etc. So with white fur, the painter needs to look for more areas where there are or could be shadowing or hints of colors to give it depth and texture. Sometimes a painter needs to take artistic license and add details which aren't there in order for the scene to make sense to the view. A daunting task for sure. Still, the best paintings of chins I have seen and I will definitely want one for myself when the artist decides to start doing more and selling them.

Thanks everyone!

Ryan, I will let her know that. She really appreciates the constructive criticism as it can only help in getting those chins just right. It's very hard to get the shading right on the lighter animals. She is having a lot of trouble with it as well because she couldn't find a picture of a light chinchilla in that pose. So, she's doing a pose the ebony was in, but trying to give it the color of the lighter chin. I'm going to bring her a lighter chin to photograph so she can figure out the shading.

I will have prints of this painting when it is done and we've got it all fixed up right that I will be donating to the CA state show and possibly one to the Oregon show. The original will probably either stay with me or with Christine. I know she can use a painting of a chin to show case for further sales.

Christine (what is with artsie creative people having that name???) is in the process of moving, but once she gets set up at her new place she will be taking orders. They will have to wait of course until after the two paintings we've commissioned from her already. :p I'm having my yorkie done as a birthday gift for my husband. I think he could use his princess staring at him in his office at work.

Beautiful painting!!! I agree that the ebony looks perfect and with a few adjustments, the white one will too. Bravo!!! :)

Very nice Tab. The ebony looks good, but I agree with Ryan that the white one looks cat-like. I think its a combination of the eyes, muzzle, and whisker area. The ears may be helping too.

how can I reach this talented lady ?
because I want updates when she can paint me a small one !

If you have a facebook, you can go to her page and like her here: http://www.facebook.com/PET2LOV

If you don't have facebook, you can send me a private message and I will give you her email. Keep in mind that the photo of the chinchilla should be the biggest and highest quality you can possibly take. So if you know someone that has one of the professional cameras or if you have one, those are the best to take pictures with. She blows up the picture, prints it out and does the painting based on that.

I am going to be picking up the completed oil painting very soon along with one she did for me of my husband's yorkie. Here is what it is looking like right now. She wants to do some fine tuning, but I think it's PERFECT! Very excited to pick this one up!

Attachments

• chinchillas 002.jpg
    chinchillas 002.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 39
Jenn, I can't remember the size off the top of my head, but I will let you know measurements when I go to pick it up. She quoted about $60 for chinchilla or other small animal paintings, dogs and cats are more because there is much more detail to capture. She can paint anything, you just need a high quality photo with good lighting (usually coming from a set point is better because the shadows will add depth to the finished painting).

I think it's an exceptional piece. The one thing I would change is the left ear on the pink white, it looks to "fat" and hairy I think. But of art of chins, this is definitely in the top bracket, chins are difficult because they don't look like what most people are used to drawing/painting ( dogs, cats, etc). Very nice.

I absolutely love it! Especially for someone unfamiliar with chins, that is just beautiful!

Back