Chinchilla Missing ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv0195

Nick
So last night my little sister didn't close the cage all the way so my beige chinchilla Daisy got out. I haven't been able to find her since. My door has been shut since then so the cats couldn't get her. I put some food out and her dust bath and put a little ladder going back into her cage so she could get back in if she wanted too. When i came home from school the dust bath had been used and some of the food had been eaten. My room isn't big so it's not hard to find her but i have two big closests that where open when she got out so i've kept them open just incase she went in there. It;s not my stuff in the closet it's my grandparents and it's a LOTT of stuff. So who knows where she could be if she's in there. (which she has to be there no other place i checked deverywhere.) What should i doo ?!!? i'm afraid she will get de hydrated. I don't here her when im in my room. And shes also not very highper so she doesnt bolt around the room like the other ones. So any suggestions ?

Last edited:
put her favorite treat out and see if she will come to it??

I;ve tried =/ i just went through my whole room and she's not in there =/ I moved stuff around in the cllosets to see if she was in there and i don't see or hear her =/ , I don't get where she could of went if my door was shut all day. But who knows if someone opened it. People don't know how to stay out of my room. I hope she's okay </3

put food and dust out in different places and see what gets used, that may help you figure out where she is.

If you have to move things around in your room, just be sure and double check before moving them as you don't want to squish her! It's happened to others in the past when a chin escaped and was in their closet, they moved a box or something and it actually squished their chin to death. So just be extra cautious.

If you have to move things around in your room, just be sure and double check before moving them as you don't want to squish her! It's happened to others in the past when a chin escaped and was in their closet, they moved a box or something and it actually squished their chin to death. So just be extra cautious.

ok, thankss

I would say your best bet is the closet, we have a lot of boxes in our basement where the chins are, and they LOVE to 'play' in them. And they Hate coming out.

I don't know if this is relevant to your case, but when my mouse got out of her cage and was loose in my house...I followed the poo. Led me right to her in under 15 minutes. You could also look for spots of dust and tufts of fur. I would first get the cats in a room where you know the chin is not or in carriers and make sure she isn't in a very dangerous place like under a gas stove, in a cabinet with chemicals or something. Then use anything that gets her attention, crinkling bags, shaking a can of oats--stuff like that and go around slowly and quietly starting with places you think she is first.

I once found Chloe inside a rolled up carpet that was standing up leaning against my wall. Also, if there is a space under the cage, look there. The dresser thing is a good suggestion, too. And under any bookshelves, in between furniture and the wall. Look for small nooks and dry, dim places. Good luck. Worse comes to worse, leave the cage open and have her dust and food/treats in there spread out.

Mine got out once on accident, and I moved their water bottle to the top level of the cage, and left the door open. I stayed up all night with the lights off waiting to hear the sound of them using the bottle, since it was at the top I left the bottom door open so they wouldn't be able to escape as easily.

When they're playing and they manage to get somewhere they're not suppose to it's behind my book shelf between the wall and the back of it, under the dresser, under my bed, under the cage, on top of the cage, between the wall and the cage, and they also like to crawl in the spaces in the drawers of my dresser and this storage tower thing. When I move the drawers though I move it very slowly and listen for the sound of them moving.

I second the checking the box spring suggestion. I have holes in the bottom of mine (from my cats) so it is super easy for my chin to crawl up there and hide for a bit. The first time I lost him he was in my box spring.

Chinchillas can fit into surprisingly tight spaces. So don't automatically rule out any spaces under your dressers, nightstands etc.

Also, when I was first getting acquainted with my chinchilla I had an awful time getting him back in his cage after playtime. It was mostly my own fault because I gave him the run of the whole bedroom. But, even though we weren't super bonded yet, if I just laid flat on my stomach on the floor for a while, he would eventually make his way over to me to see what the heck I was doing. It's worth a shot!

Good luck!

I have a small Havahart live trap that I use to catch any escapees. Works wonderfully. I bait it with some food and I have never failed to catch my escapee within a day or two. Sometimes I know exactly where my little escapee is and I set the trap in her path and when she runs through it, she's caught. Naughty chins, I'm telling you. My trap is a double door trap so they think they are running through a tunnel............NOT. :thumbsup: Can be bought at any farm store, I'm sure.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...html?lref=/catalog/find.aspx?t=havahart+traps

I have a small Havahart live trap that I use to catch any escapees. Works wonderfully. I bait it with some food and I have never failed to catch my escapee within a day or two. Sometimes I know exactly where my little escapee is and I set the trap in her path and when she runs through it, she's caught. Naughty chins, I'm telling you. My trap is a double door trap so they think they are running through a tunnel............NOT. :thumbsup: Can be bought at any farm store, I'm sure.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...html?lref=/catalog/find.aspx?t=havahart+traps

I will definately by that for future problems, but as of this one im moving Friday, and by the time that gets shipped to me i would have already moved. I'm trying my best to find her. Definately gonna go check my box spring now.

Your local animal control may have a humane trap that you can borrow.Just a suggestion.

Latest posts

Back