Chinchilla is accident prone

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy

My new chinchilla is so accident prone. She got her leg stuck in the bars of the stand I have her cage on..Though I'm going to be moving onto the ground. This happened like 15 mins ago ;-;
She flailed trying to get loose for several seconds before I made a mad dash to her. Unfortunately, I was on the other side of the room. I've had a chinchilla catch her leg before as well and she was fine. I'm more or less trying to calm my own brain down.

I got her out and there was a good deal of fur loss from the struggle. She ran around in a panic running into things. Now, the thing is I got her out and she took off...running on her leg. She moved it fine. It felt a bit, I dunno if limp was the right word for it, but no one is going to have strength in their leg after that! It just moved around easy when I moved it up and down.
She ran on it right away, she did not scream or make a sound, and is not even favoring it. She's old, so I hope she'll be okay, but she seems fine.

I took all of the shelves out so she's on the bottom of the cage, so she isn't jumping much. I plan on not having her play in a couple days.
Is it not necessary to take the shelves out, or the restricted play time? I don't want to keep her off the leg so much that it gets weak. Any suggestions/advice?
If she broke anything she wouldn't run on it or let me touch it right?
Sorry for the long post.

Her foot is strong again already :)
She's just wiped and wants to sleep, and is grinding her teeth a bit. I'm sure she'll feel sore for a while.

You will want to keep an eye on that. Most likely it was just muscles aching, but it isn't unheard of for a chin with a broken leg to hide it very well. Just keep an eye, watch for swelling, make sure she's using it regularly, etc.

My newest chin Axel did the same thing. Luckily I was close at the time. He didn't show any signs much that day, but the next day it was severely swollen.

Luckily he didn't have any broken bones, but he did have some ligament damage and a severe sprain. It's been over a month and the joint is still swollen, and he still favors it a bit. I would definitely keep the shelves out of the cage for a few days, if not longer. Sprains can cause more pain than a break can, and sometimes even take longer to heal. If you see her favoring the leg I would bring her to the vet for an xray just to be sure. I would also request some metacam to make the healing process on her easier.

I've been watching her off and on today, and her leg isn't swollen and she just stretched out. Her leg probably would have swollen by now right? It doesn't look swollen and it doesn't feel swollen. It's hard to tell with that fluff, but it feels even with her other.

Latest posts

Back