Chinchilla intelligence/awareness of cagemate death?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

I have a few questions and was wondering what everyone thinks.

1.) When a chinchilla's cagemate dies in front of them, do they know what is happening?

2.) Do chinchillas feel sadness? If so, how do they express it?

3.) Do chinchillas know when we feel sad?

4.) Could a chinchilla make the connection between the death of their cagemate and our sadness?

I'm not sure about most of your questions, but I do believe they can feel sadness. Not in the way humans do, but more in the was of knowing something is not the same. My chin was listless and sleeping alot the week after he lost his cage mate. After a week he was introduced to a new chin, and his behavior totally changed. He was more active, and no longer spent so much time staring out of his cage.

I even had a pet hamster that seemed to be in mourning for a couple of weeks after her sister died.

I'm sure that they know the other chin is dying, and I do believe that chins who have bonded strongly mourn the death of their friend. But I think a lot of people put too much human emotion into what chins feel. Like "he's lonely he wants a friend", or "he really wants a girlfriend", especially the last one. Almost every male on the Earth wants a girl friend... because they are programed to spread their genes! It's like like they're sitting there thinking, I really hate eating this hay by myself, wish I had someone to share it with.

I had a colony where the male went crazy, he killed a female and the girl who was most bonded with her stood over her and protected her body from the male. From the dead body I'm guessing it happened early night, it was about 10 in the morning when I found them. She was beat up herself, but stood her ground against that male to protect her, even though she was dead. I once found a dead chinchilla with it's mate laying on it, so I would have to assume that it was mourning the loss as well.

Last edited:
That is very interesting Riven, that reminds me of that story of the dog who stood over the other dog who was hit by a car trying to protect him. I believe in the story the two dogs did not know each other, but it is interesting to see how animals will interact with each other in times of a crisis. I also agree with you that many people "humanize" there pets and that is when problems can occur.

Latest posts

Back