Chinchilla Insurance

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinchichi

I have 2 Chins, 5 month old and a 1 year old, and I was wondering if any of you suggest getting pet insurance for Chinchillas?
I was looking into the Exotic Pet insurance from VPI Pet Insurance
They said it would be about $11 a month for each chin. Do you think its worth it?

I looked into it once, but they were asking $12/month PER CHINCHILLA. If I only had one or two this would be fine, but there's no way I could afford it for the number I have.

If you have under 5 chins it is INCREDIBLY worth it....for 132$ per year per chin, you get it back. Tilly was sick and had over 500$ of work done and they reimbursed me for half which is 100$ more than i pay a year for her.... They said you should have like 500 put away for each chin incase of illness and i think spending 130 of it for this is well worth it in the long run

Giant waste of money - as is most pet insurance. Most chins will never need to visit a visit a vet, so save the money.

I always tell people to just save the money every month in an account just for the chins. Pet insurance is alright, but it's almost just as easy to save the money. With all the chins here it would be way too expensive even though I could get a discount and have everyone insured. I keep $500 saved up just in case, that way if there's anything really bad happening at least I don't have to worry about $500 of it!

My veterinary expenses have gone down a lot in the last few years. The more experience I have with the chins the less I feel the need for help. The last big vet bill was for a c-section and I haven't had to go back since. I pick up some medications every few months if the bottles I have here have expired or if I run out.

Anyway...maybe if someone has a couple pets it could be a good deal to get pet insurance.

I was gonna check that site out too, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

AZ: you are lucky you can do alot of the work yourself and get meds, i'm wondering what about those of us [like me] if it would be worth it. I mean of course you can go years without needing a vet, chin i don't think ever went. But when you have to go and then make a repeat visit for the same problem, it can get costly.. Not saying it is worth it, I don't know. But just thinking about what can or might happen, but you really just never know.

Jean

From a pet owner and a vet hopsital perspective:

Most Owners think about insurance AFTER something bad happens.

I use to have VPI... I didnt like them.

I NOW use: www.gopetplan.com which is from the Avid microchipping company.
The cover ALL hereditory AND genetic problems! They cover my dogs Total Hip Replacement which is around 6grand!
Any other insurance company hears the words "dysplasia or mites" and say that wont cover it! gopetplan does.

Now with having said that I have insurance on my two rescue dogs... it paid for its self within 3 months of having my first surgery. With my breeder dog I dont have insurance. He is from great lines and is free from dysplasia and such *knocks on wood*

Would I get it for my chins? No. But then again I work for a vet so I get a discount more then most ppl get back from their insurance.

:thumbsup:

I always tell people to just save the money every month in an account just for the chins. Pet insurance is alright, but it's almost just as easy to save the money. With all the chins here it would be way too expensive even though I could get a discount and have everyone insured. I keep $500 saved up just in case, that way if there's anything really bad happening at least I don't have to worry about $500 of it!

My veterinary expenses have gone down a lot in the last few years. The more experience I have with the chins the less I feel the need for help. The last big vet bill was for a c-section and I haven't had to go back since. I pick up some medications every few months if the bottles I have here have expired or if I run out.

Anyway...maybe if someone has a couple pets it could be a good deal to get pet insurance.

I totally agree, just save money in a "chin" account and you are much better off.

I've heard of other people getting a credit card with a small limit of maybe $500 to $1000 just in case of chin emergencies. That way they don't have to worry if the time comes that something happens, they won't have to apply for financing or borrow from others.

That may be another option over buying pet insurance. It just seems like no matter what you are going to pay someone money for something.

Many vets including mine offer Care Credit. I have it for my dogs in case of emergencys.
its a medical credit card. Can only be used for medical items (humans and animals). Youd want to check with your local vet to make sure they offer it of course. But mine has saved me a few times.

They also have payment plans for no interest up to 1 year. BUT you have to pay it off in the time they give you or they charge you something like 22% on the ORIGINAL amount you charged.

I've heard of other people getting a credit card with a small limit of maybe $500 to $1000 just in case of chin emergencies. That way they don't have to worry if the time comes that something happens, they won't have to apply for financing or borrow from others.

That may be another option over buying pet insurance. It just seems like no matter what you are going to pay someone money for something.

Latest posts

Back