Chinchilla Dust or "Brand New Chinchilla!"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevnChip

I've read the posts about chinchilla dust and taken all the advice to heart but had to see this to believe it. I was using the Kaytee unscented dust and it seemed to be doing the job. It was what was available, stores being what they are. This weekend on a trip to pick up my bird pellets I watched a fluffy mosaic chin being picked up by it's new owners (the only chin in the store and appearing to be in great health from the bright look in its eye and calm composure as it was put in the carrier box) and decided to do my usual stall of wandering past the stuff offered for chins. To my suprise there was a container of Blue Cloud chinchilla dust. Its amost twice the cost of the stuff I'm using, but comes so highly recommended that I wanted to try it. Chipper has to experience the good stuff at least once, and all.

Well! I am so glad I picked that tub up! It is everything that is said about it. I dumped out the Kaytee stuff and filled his bath with the Blue Cloud and gave it to him. He dived right in with his usual fervor and spent his usual time in there. He really does like to dust. But when he came out, what a difference! The Kaytee lays on the fur like fresh snow and picks up the light. He actually glistens after bathing, which makes me think that stuff is gritty. The Blue Cloud did give him a dusted appearance, but no reflected shine. And his coat looked so much healthier after just one bathing! My husband and I joke that Chip looks like a brand new chinchilla after his bath, but this time it was true! My little ragamuffin is finally on his way to being a beautiful fuzzamuffin like the chins I see here. There is no other dust out there from now on.

Thank you to everyone here for repeatedly touting the exceptional qualities of the better products on the market for chinchillas. One more stubborn chin owner just came over to the light. I wonder if that Kaytee stuff would be any good as a crafting sand?

Online is the way to go if you're concerned about prices.

I used Kaytee at first as well. Chloe came with the leftovers in the tub so I used that up than promptly bought some Blue Cloud because it was so recommended, especially on the forum.

It really does make a big difference. I hated how the Kaytee was so sparkly. I know some people don't mind it--Blue Sparkle has the same sparkly look to it. But I always felt like I was putting her in the body glitter I used to use when I was 11 (you ALL know what I'm talking about. Glittery eye shadow, glittery lip gloss, glittery body powder. Yea....). I love the way her fur looks with the Blue Cloud now--clean and fluffy!!

Yes! Clean and fluffy! I was beginning to think maybe his fur condition was an indication of age or something. Turns out its the efficiency of his bathing dust. I have a full unopened tub of the Kaytee stuff I now don't need. Hm. I'll be checking out the online distributors to find a better price, but I'm sticking with this Blue Cloud stuff. Chipper's been giving me the luvin's since, too. Definitely chin approved! :)

Ooo! I'll try that. Thanks!

Gonna have to update my icon pic too. Chip looks much better than that pic now. So fluffy! Wishing I'd gotten some of this stuff sooner.

Ha! I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. The shelves and counter by Chipper's cage are a bit glittery. Kinda pretty really. Looks better there than on him!

I will admit i have been using the pet store stuff, and it has always seemed to work ok. But to hear the blue cloud spoken of so highly makes me want to give it a try (do like to give my boys the best). Any recommendations on a reputable site to order from?

Latest posts

Back