Chinchilla Cages: Size, Equipment, Accessories, etc.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grant

What is a good sized cage for a single chinchilla (in inches please)? I definitely like to go over the minimum for an animal if at all possible. I'm pretty sure chinchillas like the large, tall (metal) wire cages with lots of levels and ramps to run on, but I'm just checking. Are the ones with wire bottoms okay for them?

What are some things you need to have in chinchilla cage? I know 15+ inch wheel, ledges, hiding place, hammock, food dish, water bottle, and hay holder, but what else should I add in? What are some things that chinchillas enjoy "playing" with?

Any other caging advice/links are appreciatted!

check out the post with cages and you can see the various cage types the folks have and she which set up you like best. Most like the ferret nation - 142, its really a great cage.

Yeah, most people tend to go for taller versus wider. It saves on room too. The ferret nations are a popular cage since they look nice.
But for one chin you don't really need to go that large. It's really up to you. Many people also like the Quality Cage cages http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=129_142
The condo would be an okay size for one chin, but obviously the larger it is, the more you can fit in there for them.

I do have wire bottoms on my cages, they just have to be 1/2" x 1/2" openings so their toes don't get stuck. And if you do have wire bottoms, just make sure and give them plenty of other things to rest their feed on like wood ledges

Latest posts

Back