Chinchilla arching back backwards

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljiayi

@chingary
Hi guys, may I know if this behavior is something to be concerned about. Gary likes to arch his back backwards as he looks upwards but before he loses his balance he will move back to normal position. I have never seen him lose his balance when he does this action. I took a screen shot of him from a video. Please refer to it.

Also, Gary is my newest chinchilla and he's still in the pet shop getting bonded with my current chinchilla. I was wondering if this behavior might be due to the cage size at the pet shop being a little small. My cage at home is way bigger and I'm wondering if this behavior might stop after he gets a bigger area to play with.

Please let me know if you guys have experienced such a similar behavior with your chins. THanks!

picture.php

I have two whites that do that same thing....... I think it is just a white thing

A lot of chins do that. They can be really silly. I've seen them do it to get attention, sometimes it's just stretching or the chin just feeling happy.

I have chins that do backflips, as well. Chins are silly, strange creatures...

Thanks for all the positive replies so far. So this behavior of theirs is not related to the symptoms that some hamsters get known as star gazing right?

Meegus my first chin did weird stuff like that, she would actually fall on her back, she was mentally challenged in other areas so I just chalked it up to that.

Back