Chinchilla and rabbit deseases

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockka

My daughter is getting a rabbit and I have 3 soon to be 4 chins. I was reading pet talk this morning and read that rabbits can give Chinchillas diseases. Does anyone have experience in this area?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Rabbits can pass on pasturella to chins as far as I know, I've always wanted to get some buns too, but I don't want to kill my chins.

Yea! I'm having seconds thoughts about the bunny now. My chins are important to me.

There are lots of diseases that can pass between rabbits and chinchillas - in both directions. Yes, pasteurella can be devastating to chins. But as long as you practice proper hygiene it shouldn't be a problem. I've had both rabbits and chinchillas for over 10 years and no problems. I also work with a rabbit rescuer and pet sit a couple other families' rabbits, and still no problems. Just be sanitary, wash your hands, etc. and you'll be fine.

How would it be transmitted? Contact to contact? If they ran in the same run room at different times could the chins get it? I'm sorry if I'm asking to many questions. I just want to make the right choice and be safe about it for the chins and rabbit.

Keep the body fluids separate meaning chin and rabbit cannot sneeze on each other and can't come in contact with feces or urine, wash the hands between species.

It can be transmitted in the air or from direct contact or from someone's hands or clothing. It's best to keep rabbits in a different room, and as stated previously, ALWAYS wash hands before handling the chins after handling the bunnies.

There are other diseases that rabbits can pass on, but Pasturella is the one big one that chin breeders worry about. It can be deadly to a chinchilla and extremely difficult to cure, if it even can be cured. As Alicyn stated, good hygiene is a great place to start. A lot of people have rabbits and chinchillas and they do fine. When the chins do well they are usually in a completely different area than rabbits.

Recently I had a woman call me wanting with her chin with Pasturella "in its eye". The chin had be placed in the same area in her home as several rabbits and they were allowed to play. The chin came from a rabbit breeder that allowed for her chins and rabbits to share the same bunny barn. All the chins there died of Pasturella and the "breeder" still sold several chinchillas despite knowing they were infected, and all of her rabbits eventually succumbed to Pasturella and passed away. That is an extreme case there, but it illustrates the point that chins and rabbits should not be kept in close quarters and also precautions must be made when keeping the two species in the same household.

Latest posts

Back