Chin suddenly biting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SugEr

Help. Please.

My chin (Bubbles) is three and a half. He has just started biting... the hard, bleeding, not-letting-go type of bite. It's awful. When I let him out of the cage, he dives for my ankles. If I try to pet under his chin (which he used to LOVE) he bites hard. I don't know what to do.

We got a new cat in November... but they seemed to be ok until I moved his cage to my office (where I actually am all day and evening). He was even fine in the office for a few days. Then, he started attacking. He's never cared about our dog-- he was just curious about her. He is never out of the cage if the kitty is in the room.

He is pooing fine. He is eating well. He has a lot to chew on.

I've read the debates about whisker trimming and I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking about getting him a friend Chin, but I don't want him to kill anyone.

I could move his cage back to the living room, but I worry that he'll be lonely in there.

Sounds to me he's pretty upset about something! I've not had one start out of nowhere, at any time! Maybe there was an altercation with the cat or dog you aren't aware of!
I'd put him back in the other room, and start over. Get some leather gloves to protect youself, and let him bite! Usually, once they see biting is futile, they usually stop, and start to calm down. If he continues, it could be the presence of the cat - and fear!
Have there been any changes in food, or anything else? Try to get back to where you were, and make small changes, a little at a time!

Does you office have alot of electronic on it? I've found that when I move my chins into my bedroom and leave my computer running Petra will start spraying and become really aggressive. My guess it the EMF (electo Magnetic Frequencies) put off by wiring or other electrical equipment. With people it makes them paranoid and think they see ghost and in animals it can cause all sorts of behavior... Just guess!

It does sound as if he's stressed about the move. Perhaps it will just take a bit of time for him to adjust and get used to things in the office. I'm sorry he's biting, I know how much it hurts and how hard they can bite. I say be patient with him for a bit and if things don't change consider moving him back. I wouldn't recommend getting him a friend until he seems to settle down and even then there is no guarantee the two will get along.

I agree that it's probably the change in location.. things like more activity while they're sleeping, more light in the room, more noise, different temperature, different smell, whatever can set them off. Is the cat in the office more often than the living room? He may just need his alone time or he's not liking the change for whatever reason.

I would try moving him back to the living room, like everyone else suggested, and see if that works before getting a cagemate or any other major change.

Definitly move him back because it may even be messing with his napping and sleep schedule and maybe he doesnt like that.

When I had my chins in a separate room to themselves, they all seemed to be less friendly and some of them started biting. Once I gave in and moved them back to the living room and dining room, they all returned to their friendly selves. I guess I will just have to suffer with the inconvenience of having to clean 3 places everyday as opposed to one.

Eureka! I think we've finally figured it out. For the past few years, I've been working everyday... and I always left the TV on for him during the day. Generally I haven't had a TV on in my office because I am working. BUT... since I wasn't working in there at the end of last week, I put a video on for him. And he was a little nicer. For the past two days, I've been leaving the TV on all day for him... AND he is back to his lovely, nonthreatening self.

Conclusion: Bubbles is addicted to TV. And I enable him.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!!

Just don't let him watch 'Jerry Springer!' It'll give him ideas on how to be REAL BAD!!!

That's just "Crazy"!!hehe So old habits die hard! Next he'll be wanting a headset!hehe

Bailey bit me today. I was in there giving him love...and he bit the end of my finger and it started to bleed. I have not changed his enviroment...he is still in his room. Acting out since the death of Sparkle? But they never spent anytime together just caged in the same room. My cat was meowing really loud outside of the bedroom door right before he bit me. Maybe that made him nervous? I've just been having a miserable day :(

maybe Bailey just wanted some "alone" time. Sometimes they get cranky too, just like humans. =) I hope you have a better day, maighen! :hug2:

Its been better now....Bailey sat on my shoulder and was kissing my ear...maybe to say "sorry mommy" :)

Back